Carrot Kootu Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Sidedish | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Carrot – a and 1/2 cups finely chopped
Moong Dal – 1 and 1/2 tbsp
Toor Dhal – 2 tbsp
Big Onion – 1 small sized chopped finely
Turmeric powder – a generous pinch
Salt – to taste
To grind together:
Grated coconut – 2 tbsp
Jeera – 1 tsp
Oil -1 tsp
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Urad Dhal – 1/2 tsp
Hing(Perungayam) – a generous pinch
Curry leaves – few
Green chillies – 1 chopped roughly
- Dry roast moong dal till golden brown.Pressure cook both the dals with 1 cup of water,salt and turmeric powder, Cook until mushy and soft. Mash it well with a laddle and set aside.
- Grind together coconut and jeera with little water to a fine paste.Chop carrots finely and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, urad dhal, green chillies and curry leaves.Let it splutter, then add onion and hing saute till onion turns transparent.Then add required salt and chopped carrot.
- Saute for few mins until raw smell leaves.Then add cooked dal water alone and required water.
- Cook till carrot turns soft.By then the water would have been absorbed too now add dal and let it boil for 2mins.
- Then add the coconut paste and allow it to boil till it becomes thick.Switch off and serve with hot rice.
Serve hot with rice!
- Add the coconut paste only after the veggie is cooked.
- The curry will thicken with time so switch it off accordingly.
- You can also replace toor dhal with chana dal too.But adding a combination of dal gives nice flavour to the kootu.