Vara Milagai Chutney is a spicy hot side dish made by grinding dry chillies, onions & tamarind to a paste and blend with tempered spices. Vara Milagai Chutney presented here is Chettinad style perfect to relish with paniyaram, idli, dosa and uttapam. Chettinad Dry Chilli Chutney is simple & quick to make in minutes.
Vara Milagai Chutney is a great sidedish for idli,dosa and paniyaram.Many of you had requested me to post the chutney recipe when I posted this vellai paniyaram and here it is for you all.Though this chutney is the perfect combo chettinad vellai paniyaram it goes well with many other dishes as well.
I used kashmiri chillies for a bright red color and a medium spicy chutney but its ok you can use normal chillies too but the color will be more on the orange side.
You can check out another variation of this chutney here.
If you have any more questions about this Vara Milagai Chutney Recipe do mail me at [email protected] In addition, follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest ,Youtube and Twitter .
Tried this Vara Milagai Chutney Recipe ? Do let me know how you liked it. Also tag us on Instagram @sharmispassions and hash tag it on #sharmispassions.
Vara Milagai Chutney | Chettinad Dry Chilli Chutney
- 1 tbsp gingelly oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp urad dal
- few curry leaves
- a pinch hing
- 1/2 cup small onion
- 1 small tomato
- 2 nos red chillies
- 2 nos kashmiri red chillies
- 1 tsp tamarind
- rock salt to taste
- To a mixer jar add all the ingredients listed under 'to grind' add little water and grind it a slightly coarse paste. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan - add the items listed under 'to temper' let it splutter then add chilli onion paste. Mix well.
- Cook covered for 10 mins in low flame. Open and check if raw smell has gone. Cook for another 3-5 mins until oil starts to show up. Switch off.
- Vara Milagai Chutney goes well with idli, paniyaram etc.
- You can use normal chillies itself, I used kashmiri chillies to give more color and reduce the spiciness of the chutney.
- Using gingelly oil is must for this recipe as it gives great flavor to this chutney.
How to make Vara Milagai Chutney Recipe
- To a mixer jar add all the ingredients listed under ‘to grind’ add little water and grind it a slightly coarse paste.Set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan – add the items listed under ‘to temper’ let it splutter then add chilli onion paste.Mix well.
- Cook covered for 10 mins in low flame.Open and check if raw smell has gone.Cook for another 3-5 mins until oil starts to show up.Switch off.
Spicy chutney goes well with idli,paniyaram etc.
Soft hot idlis with this chutney tastes soo good.
It must be very appetizing!