Black Urad Dal Idli Podi Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Breakfast | Recipe Cuisine: World
Black Urad Dal* – 1 cup
Red Chillies – 1/2 cup(around 15)
Gingelly Oil – 1/4 tsp
Rice – 1 tbsp
Garlic – 5 pearls
Curry Leaves – 1/3 cup loosely packed
Hing(powder) – 1/2 tsp
Whole Pepper – 1 heaped tsp
Rock Salt – to taste
- Measure and Get ready with all your ingredients.In a pan add urad dal and red chillies.Dry roast till urad dal turns golden brown and red chillies turn crisp.Transfer to a clean plate.
- Now in the same pan roast curry leaves till it shrinks, transfer to a plate.then roast pepper,Now add rice and roast till it turns slightly golden.
- Now add oil and roast garlic till golden.Now roast hing and transfer all ingredients to a plate.Cool it completely.
- Transfer to a mixer,add rock salt and grind to a semi fine powder.Transfer to a plate and let it cool completely.
Cool down and store in an airtight container.Mix with gingelly oil and serve with hot idlis…bliss!!:)
- Slow roast all the ingredients, do not burn them.
- Roasting red chillies with dal ensures even roasting and will not burn red chillies.My mother always insists not to roast red chillies alone.
- Adjust spice level according to ur preference.
- You can even add a tsp of roasted jeera while grinding for extra flavour.
- It keeps well for 2-3 months in room temperature.