I have already posted basic version of Idli Milagai Podi and MTR stlye idli podi so this one is another variation that you can try when you are bored of the same recipe….Yes thats what I do.Mittu loves homemade podi and this is her recent favorite and hubby can live with podi so I dont leave the podi jar to empty. Amma makes idli podi using black urad dal with skin , I will sure post that version too….But nowadays she likes my podi that she insists me to make the same…. :))
Idli Milagai Podi Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Sidedish | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Urad Dal – 1/2 cup
Chana Dal – 1/2 cup
Dried Red Chillies – 1/2 cup loosely packed
Curry Leaves – 1/8 cup tightly packed
Hing – 3/4 tsp
Sesame Seeds – 1/8 cup
Garlic – 3 big cloves
Pepper – 1 tsp
Jaggery – 1.5 tbsp(optional)
Oil – 1 tsp
Salt – to taste
- Add a tsp of oil – Dry roast the dals together till slightly browned then add red chillies and roast till red chillies turn crip and dals turn golden brown,Finally add hing and Set aside.Then dry roast sesame seeds, let it splutter then set aside.Now dry roast curry leaves until crisp, Set aside.
- Then dry roast pepper and garlic each separatelyTransfer the roasted ingredients to a wide bowl and let it cool down.
- Add required salt and grind the roasted ingredients to a coarse mixture.Then finally add jaggery and grind it to a semi fine mixture, little coarse.Cool down then transfer to an airtight container.
Smear gingelly oil / coconut oil / ghee with podi and serve it with soft idlis.
- Adding jaggery is purely optional but I love the mild sweetness in the podi which is the speciality of this recipe.
- The color of the podi depends on red chilli variety.
- The texture also purely depends on your taste prefernce, we like it a bit coarse just like the ones we get in shops. But if you prefer it fine then just grind it smooth.