Last Updated on December 7, 2020
Baingan Bharta Recipe
Recipe Category: Sidedish | Recipe Cuisine: North Indian
Aubergine(Eggplant) – 1
Onion – 1 finely chopped
Tomato – 2 finely chopped
Garlic – 1 tsp finely chopped
Red chilli powder – 1.5 tsp
Garam masala powder – 1 tsp
Coriander Leaves – 2 tsp finely chopped
Salt – to taste
Oil – 2 tsp
Jeera – 1 tsp
- Wash the aubergine and remove the stalk part of aubergine.Grease the outer skin with oil and roast it directly on stove top.I used a metal skewer to hold it.Turn over and cook on all sides evenly.Make sure you cook in low medium flame so that it gets cooked inside also.It took me just 5-8mins to roast completely.
- When its cooked fully the inside, it will turn mushy and you can feel it easily.Now switch off and cool down.Remove the outer skin carefully, you can just peel it of easily.Now mash it well with a fork until nicely mashed up.Set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan – add jeera and let it crackle.Add garlic and green chillies saute for a minute then add onions and saute till slightly golden then add tomato.
- Add red chilli powder,garam masala powder and required salt.Saute till tomatoes turn mushy and raw smell leaves.
- Add mashed aubergine.Mix well and cook for 3-5mins in low medium flame.Garnish with coriander leaves.
Serve hot with roti / rice or any pulao of your choice.
- Make sure to cook aubergine in low medium flame else it will be charred outside with the inside left uncooked.
- Add mashed aubergine only after raw smell of tomato leaves and leave the curry to boil in low flame for atleast 5-7mins.
- You can also add coriander powder.