Arisi Thengai Payasam Recipe
Recipe Category: Payasam / Kheer | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Grated Coconut – 1/2 cup tightly packed
Raw rice – 2 heaped tbsp
Jaggery – 1/3 cup
Boiled Milk – 1/4 cup
Water – 2 and 1/2 cups
Ghee – 2 tsp
Cardamom powder – 1/4 tsp
Cashewnuts – 6 whole broken
Raisins – 10
- Soak jaggery in warm water(till immersing level) , crush it well. Then heat it up until it is slightly thick (no string consistency needs to be checked).Strain and keep aside.
- Rinse rice well and soak in water for atleast 30mins,Set aside.In a mixer grind rice and coconut together with little water to a coarse paste.
- Boil water, keep in low flame and add the coconut rice paste and let it cook in medium flame for 10mins.
- Once the rice gets cooked soft and the mixture is in porridge consistency add jaggery syrup.
- Stir well and cook for 3mins,add cardamom powder and stir well.meanwhile in a tadka pan with ghee fry cashews and raisins.First add cashews once it starts to brown add raisins, let it bubble up then switch off.
- Switch and let the payasam cool down for 10mins.Then add milk and stir well.Add ghee fried cashews and raisins, give a quick stir.
Serve hot / warm.I love it chilled 🙂
- Use milk at room temperature.Boil milk and cool down.While adding milk make sure the payasam is not too hot else it will curdle.
- Don not grind the rice coconut mixture to a fine paste, it should be coarse only then you will get texture in your payasam.
- Milk can be skipped but I recommend adding it as it gives a richness and flavour to the payasam.