Carrot Payasam Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Dessert | Recipe Cuisine: Indian
Carrot – 2 cups grated
Milk – 2 cups
Sugar – 1/2 cup
Ghee – 1/2 tbsp + 1/2 tbsp
Cashew – 8 broken
Saffron – 4 strands
Cardamom powder – 1/4 tsp (optional)
- Wash carrots, trim the edges and peel of the skin.Grate it using a grater and then measure it.In a pan add 1/2 tbsp ghee add grated carrot and saute for few mins until it shrinks and raw smell leaves.It may take atleast 7-10mins so keep sauteing in low flame.
- Now add 1 cup milk and let it to boil in low flame.Simmer and let it cook until carrots are soft.Once carrots are cooked add sugar and cook for 5mins.
- Cool down for a while and blend it roughly.I used my blender to blend it – This step is purely optional.Now again heat it up and let it cook.Add saffron in a tbsp of warm milk.
- Add saffron milk, 1/2 cup milk and cardamom powder and let it simmer for a while.Finally when it gets thick add remaining 1/2 cup milk and switch off.
- In a tadka pan heat ghee add broken cashews and fry till golden brown.Add it to kheer and mix well.
I reserved few ghee roasted nuts to sprinkle while eating….It tasted yum! Serve chilled / warm!
- Blending is purely optional but helps in nicely blending with milk.But don’t blend it to a paste just do it roughly thats enough you should be able to get the carrot pieces here and there.
- You can even add a pinch of nutmeg powder for extra flavour.
- You can add coocnut milk or condensed milk for a rich kheer.