Last Updated on December 7, 2020
Agathi Keerai Thanni Saaru Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Sidedish | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Agathi Keerai leaves – 2 cups loosely packed
Coconut – 3/4 cup or Thick Coconut Milk – 1/2 cup
Arisi Mandi or Water – 3 cups
Ghee – 1/2 tsp
Salt – to taste
Oil – 1 tsp
Jeera – 1 tsp
Garlic – 6 big sized chopped finely
Shallots/small onions 10 nos.
Curry leaves – a small sprig
Hing – a tiny pinch
- Grind coconut with enough water to extract coconut milk,Keep aside.Seperate the leaves from the stem,Rinse greens well.Drain water and Set aside.
- Add arisi mandi(water used for rinsing raw rice) or plain water in a bowl and heat it up.Once it starts boiling,add the greens and let it boil for few mins till the greens change color and turn soft.Let it cook in medium flame.Meanwhile in a kadai add the items listed under ‘to temper’ then add onion, garlic and saute till golden brown.Then add this to half cooked greens.
- Boil for few more mins till greens gets cooked.Lower the flame and add coconut milk.Bring it to a single boil and switch off.
Serve warm with steamed rice!
- Dont let it cook for more time after coconut milk is added just a single boil is enough.If you overboil then it might curdle.
- The consistency should be thin more like rasam so adjust water level accordingly.
- Add the tempered items when greens is half cooked so that onion garlic gets cooked too along with greens.
- Arisi Mandi is nothing but the water we use for rinsing and washing raw rice before cooking.