Last Updated on December 7, 2020
I tried making this ada last week but cudnt make ada pradhaman with it the same day and click it so ended up making milk payasam with it 🙂 So made ada pradhaman 2 days later with readymade store bought ada. Though the store bought ones equally serves the purpose I felt the homemade ones are best!
Homemade Ada Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Sidedish | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian| Recipe Reference : Spicy Chilly
Raw Rice – 1/2 cup
Salt – a pinch
Banana leaf – 3 to 4 small sheets
- Soak rice in water (add water just to immersing level) for 1 hour. Drain the water and grind it in a mixer until smooth by adding water little by little.
- The batter should resemble dosa batter so while adding water be very careful. Now spread a thin layer of the batter on the banana leaf. You can slightly saute the banana leaf in fire to make it stiff, I didnt do this but it was all fine.
- Roll it tight and carefully and tie with the string and steam cook it for 10-12mins like we do for kozhukattais.
- The water droplets on the banana leaf and the tenderness of it will make sure that the ada is cooked well.Carefully open it, sprinkle cold water if its sticky.
- Cool down completely then cut into small bits. You can cut them down even more tiny like the ones we get in shops. Now your ada is ready, wait for my next post for the ada prathaman recipe
The flavour of coconut milk with the rice ada tastes divine that I coudnt stop with one cup 🙂 Next n my todo list is the pal ada prathaman with sugar.
- Homemade ada tastes best, though the store bought ones are equally good.If you are using homemade ada then its just enough to add it directly to the payasam, only for store bought ada you need to add in boiling water to make it soft.
- Its best to use it fresh but can make and store it a day before. Steam it for few mins to make it soft again before using it for the prathaman -Bharathy gave this idea but havent tried this yet.
- I made in small batch as this is the first time I am trying,you can double the recipe.