The look of this ragi murukku is not that appealing but don’t go by the looks, trust me the taste is great so give a try and am sure you will love it.
Ragi Murukku Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Snack | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian|Recipe Reference : SpiceIndia
Ragi Flour – 1/2 cup
Rice Flour – 1/4 cup
Besan Flour – 1/8 cup
Red Chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
White Sesame Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Butter – 1 tbsp (at room temperature)
Water – as required
Salt – to taste
Oil – to deep fry
- In a mixing bowl, take ragi flour,rice flour and besan flour along with red chilli powder,sesame seeds,butter and required salt.Mix it well with your hands now add water little by little.
- Bring together to form a stiff dough.Grease the murukku press and use the star press.Now fill the murukku press with dough.
- And start pressing it in laddles so that its easy to flip over in hot oil.Heat oil and flip over the murukku from the laddle and deep fry on both sides.
- Once the shh sound ceases remove them and drain in tissue paper.I also made some uthiri murukku with the last leftover dough.Drain in tissue and store in airtight container.
Serve with tea.
- This murukku is tough to find when its done due to its color.So its advisable to remove from oil when the shh sound ceases.
- You can replace besan flour with fried gram dal flour(pottukadalai maavu).
- It keeps well atleast for 3 weeks in room temperature.
- You can replace sesame seeds with cumin seeds too.
- If the dough becomes too watery adjust by dusting little rice flour if its too tight sprinkle little water and mix to get the perfect dough.
- I used my murukku press mould.
- You can replace oil with butter too.
- Cooking soda is added to give a slightly soft texture.
- You can either make swirl murukku or uthiri murukku as per your preference.