I was supposed to post this yesterday itself but got held up and was lazy too 😛
Custard Powder Halwa Recipe
Recipe Category: Sweet | Recipe Cuisine: Indian| Reference: Tickling Palattes
Custard powder – 1/2 cup
Sugar – 1 and 1/2 cups
Water – 2 cups
Ghee – 2 tbsp + 1 tsp for greasing
Cashew nuts – 6 broken and few for ganish
Cardamom powder – a tiny pinch
- Take custard powder and sugar in a pan, add 2 cups of water
- Whisk it well to avoid lumps, mix well till sugar completely dissolves, we are doing all this off the stove.Grease a tin / plate with ghee and keep it ready.Heat the pan and keep stirring.
- Keep stirring in low flame.Stir continuously to avoid lumps.It will first start to form glossy here and there, then fully glossy.Add a tbsp of ghee at this stage.
- Add cardamom powder.Then it will start to thicken. Keep on stirring until you see the halwa texture.
- Once it is thick and comes together as a whole mass and starts to leave the sides of the pan add remaining ghee,cashews , mix well and switch off.Now transfer the mixture to a ghee greased plate.Let it to set atleast for an hour then cut into squares and enjoy.
- Once it is thick and comes together as a whole mass and starts to leave the sides of the pan add fried cashews and switch off.Now transfer the mixture to a ghee greased tin.Let it to set atleast for an hour then invert , cut into squares and enjoy.
Garnish each square with cashews.
- You can use any food colour of your choice but I choose to leave it the natural orange color the custard powder gave.
- If you want to serve it in a bowl then switch off a bit runny as you can see the texture in step4 smooth and shiny.
- You can even add any essence of your choice.
- The halwa can be had hot or cold as per your preference.Keeps well for 5 days if refrigerated.
- Use a nonstick pan for best results.
- Make sure you cut the cashews very fine so that while cutting you will get smooth pieces.