Aval upma is very handy to me especailly when I run out of idli dosa batter and want a quick breakfast fix.Hubby has no complaints too, he loves poha upma with sugar sprinkled…yes thats his way of eating 🙂 Check out more poha recipes that I have already posted.I love sweet poha the most and aval upma bags the next place.
Aval Upma Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Breakfast / Snack | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Aval – 1 cup
Carrots – 2 small chopped finely
Peas – 1/8 cup
Roasted Peanuts – 1 tbsp
Big Onion – 1 chopped finely
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Red Chilli powder – 3/4 tsp
Coriander powder – 1/4 tsp
Coriander leaves – 2 tsp chopped finely
Salt – to taste
Oil – 2 tsp
Mustard seeds – 3/4 tsp
Urad Dal – 1/2 tsp
Jeera – 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves- a sprig
Hing – a pinch
- Pressure cook carrot peas for 3-4 whistles with enough water, dont drain the water,Set aside.Soak poha in water till immersing level.Meanwhile heat a kadai with oil – add the items listed under ‘to temper’ let it splutter.
- Add turmeric powder and give a quick stir then add onions saute till slightly browned.Now add cooked veggies along with spice powders and required salt.Let the veggies blend with the masala powders.
- Now add soaked poha…by now poha would have absorbed the water fully.Give a quick mix and cook for 2mins.Finally add roasted peanut, garnish with coriander leaves and switch off.
Serve hot as a teatime snack or for breakfast too!
- You can even add tomatoes with onions.
- You have lot of variations to this easy upma, skip jeera while tempering add roasted jeera powder.You can even add a pinch of sambar powder.
- Adding veggies is your choice, you can add favorite veggies of your choice.
- You can even add 2 tbsp of coconut for extra crunch.