With festivals lining up one after another, I am struggling this time with lack of planning….But somehow managing to post, let me see if I can make it for onam too…fingers crossed 🙂 So that justifies the absence of coming up section…as its last minute clicking editing and posting so please bear with me 😮
Cabbage Thoran Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Sidedish | Recipe Cuisine: Kerala
Cabbage – 1.5 cups shredded
Small Onion – 7 halved
Coconut – 1/4 cup
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Red Chilli powder – 1/2 tsp(optional)
Salt – to taste
Coconut Oil – 2 tsp
Mustard Seeds – 3/4 tsp
Jeera – 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves – a small sprig
Red Chillies – 2 broken
- Grate cabbage or chop them finely which is what I did. In a mixing bowl – add shredded cabbage,onion and turmeric powder and mix well,Set aside.In a pan heat oil – then add the items listed under ‘to temper’ let it splutter.
- Then add cabbage onion mixture and saute for 5-7 mins until raw smell leaves.Then sprinkle little water and cook covered until cabbage turns soft(you will see the veggie turning transparent).Make sure that it doesnt get burnt at the bottom so stir it occasionally. Then add salt to taste and red chilli powder.
- Once cabbage is cooked and blended with the spices,finally add coconut give a quick stir and switch off.
Serve hot / warm with rice and sambar or with any variety rice.
- Dont add more water just sprinkle 1 or 2 tbsp of water else it will turn soggy.
- Adding red chilli powder is purely optional so you can skip it too.
- Adding coconut oil gives a great flavour to the curry.
- You can even mix curry leaves along with cabbage.