Kalkandu Pongal Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Dessert | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Raw Rice – 1/2 cup
Moong Dal – 2 tbsp
Kalkandu(Sugar Candy) – 1/2 cup
Boiled Milk – 1 cup
Water – 1 and 1/2 cups
Ghee – 1 to 2 tbsp
Cardamom – a pinch
Raisins – 1 tsp
Cashewnuts – 2 tsp broken
- Take candy sugar(kalkandu) in a mixer and grind it a fine powder – this step is optional, you can even add it as such. Fry the cashews and raisins in ghee, set aside.
- Dry roast moong dal for few mins until nice aroma rises and it is golden brown in color.Rinse rice and add it along with roasted moong dal in a pressure cooker. Add 1 and 1/2 cups water, 1/2 cup milk and pressure cook for 3-4 whistles in medium low flame.
- Once pressure releases, open and switch it on. Add powdered sugar candy, remaining 1/2 cup milk.
- Mash it well with a laddle till the rice is mashed up. Add ghee and keep stirring for 5mins. Then add elachi powder, ghee fried cashews and raisins.Switch it off.
Serve hot with a generous serving of ghee, heaven I say 🙂
- You can add the sugar candy as such itself without powdering, it just melts when heated up.
- The sweetness was just right for us may be if you like ur pongal to be more sweet add 1 cup sugar instead of 1/2 cup.
- Amma says adding milk is optional, but sure gives a richness and creaminess to the pongal.