Last Updated on December 7, 2020
I was skeptical whether to title it as pulao or rice as its inbetween both so I have given both the names.I have already posted capsicum masala bath and this one is a a very different take to the usual pulao we make.This can best be suited for lunchbox for office goers and for kids do try this easy pulao.
Capsicum Rice Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Main | Recipe Cuisine: Indian
Cooked Basmati Rice – 1/2 cup
Capsicum – 1/3 cup chopped finely(I used yellow, green and red)
Cardamom – 1
Cloves – 2
Cinnamon – 1/4 inch piece
Star Anise – 1/2(optional)
Garam Masala Powder – 1/4 tsp
Oil – 1 tsp
Ghee – 2 tsp
Salt – to taste
To grind to a paste:
Garlic – 3
Whole Pepper – 1/2 tsp
Cashews – 5
- Rinse rice, Soak rice for 10mins,Keep aside.In a mixer add all the ingredients listed under ‘to grind’ table and grind it to a fine paste with little water.Set aside.
- In a pan heat water and let it to boil.Once it starts to boil add the rice,required salt and spices(cardamom,cinnamon,cloves and star anise) and let it cook.Cook till its soft and tender with each grains seperated.
- Drain the rice, fluff it up and set aside,Discard the spices.Heat a pan with oil + ghee then add jeera , let it crackle then add cashew paste.
- Saute for few mins till raw smell of garlic leaves.Then add capsicum and saute for 5more mins.
- Add garam masala powder and saute for 2mins.Add required salt.Then add rice and mix well.Fluff it up and cook for 2-3mins until the flavours blend with rice.Switch off.
- You can even use leftover rice for this recipe but I prefer basmati rice for this.
- Cook rice perfectly not too mushy or undercook it.It should be soft yet grains seperated this can be attained easily by soaking rice then pressure cooking.
- You can add 1/4 chopped big onion after jeera crackles.
- This rice is very mild and less spicy.You can play with spice as you prefer.