Rava Idli Recipe Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Sidedish | Recipe Cuisine: North Indian
Rava/Sooji – 1 cup
Curd – 1/2 cup
Carrot – 1/4 cup packed
Hing(Perungayam) – 1/8 tsp
Water – little less than 1/2 cup (adjust according to consistency)
Cashews – 5 to 6 broken and few whole cashews
Coriander leaves – 2 tbsp chopped finely
Baking Soda (or) Eno fruit salt – 3/4 tsp
Salt – to taste
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Urad Dhal – 1/4 tsp
Channa Dhal – 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder – a pinch(optional)
Oil – 3 tsp
Ghee – 1 tsp
- Soak channa dhal in water for 15mins, Set aside. Roast cashews in little ghee till golden brown and keep aside.Reserve few whole cashews too. Set aside.
- Add oil + remaining ghee and add the items under ‘to temper’ – Allow to splutter then add turmeric powder,hing and carrot and saute until it shrinks and raw smell leaves. Then add rava and roast for 3mins.Cool down for few mins and keep aside.
- Transfer this mixture to curd,add broken cashews, chopped coriander leaves,salt and mix well.Add baking soda / eno fruit salt and mix, it will become frothy. Add water little by little(as required) to form idly batter consistency.After mixing do not let it sit for more time.
- Place each roasted cashew upside down on the idli plate. Pour the batter immediately into the idli moulds and steam it for 5-8 mins. Insert a knife or fork in the middle and check – If it comes out clean then ur idlis are done else steam it for few more mins.Allow it to rest for 5mins then unmould.
Top it ghee and Serve hot with any chutney of your choice!
- Make sure you dont allow the batter to rest , after baking soda is added.
- You can use enofruit salt for best results likes the ones we get in restaurants. It gives a more porus texture.But baking soda does a good job too.
- You can even add green chilli paste for spice level.