I wanted to utilise the mango season completely and no mango recipe collection is complete with a mango cake...Agree?! I have seen mango cakes, muffins and bread in so many blogs and when I wanted to try I went ahead searching for them. The one that suited my constraints(Yes I wanted a low fat version) was the mango banana bread from litebite. I am always amazed by her low fat baking goodies that I went ahead to try this with few modifications to suit my taste and it turned out super good.
- Chop the mangoes and puree it without water to get a thick pulp. Keep aside.
- Sift maida, baking soda, baking powder and salt atleast twice for even spread of baking powder and soda.Now add rava to the maida mixture, keep aside.
- In a seperate bowl, add oil,yogurt, mango pulp, cardamom powder,sugar and mix well till sugar is completely dissolved.
- Now add the curd mango mixture to rava maida mixture slowly and mix until a thick batter is formed. Add chopped walnuts and mix once. Reserve 1 tbsp of walnuts for topping.
- Preheat the oven at 190 deg C for 10mins. Meanwhile grease the pan with little oil and sprinkle maida. Arrange butter paper if you use it(I use for most of the cake for easy unmoulding).
- Transfer the batter to the cake pan. Top the cake batter with remaining chopped walnuts and bake it for 35-40mins at 190 degree C.In my OTG it took exactly 40mins for the mango bread to get baked.
- The top would have turned to a golden brown color by this time. Check with a toothpick in the center of the cake and if it comes out clean then ur cake is done.Cool it for atleast 15mins before you unmould and slice them.
I dont miss to use a butter paper these days as its mess free to unmould and cleaning the pan is also easy. For the tart mould I didnt even grease but still unmoulding was super easy.My Notes:
- I used a bread loaf pan and 3 small tart moulds.You can use a normal cake pan but see to it that the pan is as big as to hold the batter only to 1/2 or slightly more than the pan .
- The baking time totally depends on the cake mould and the oven, usually my bread loaf pan takes a little longer so it took me 40mins. So keep an eye after 30mins and then extend baking time accordingly.
- The cake in the tart moulds were done in 20mins. Only the bread loaf pan took 40mins to complete.So if you are planning for muffins it will take just 20-30mins.
- Adding sooji gives a wonderful texture to the cake. Mango and cardamom combination is heavenly so dont skip it.
- The orginal recipe calls for only 1/2 cup sugar but I felt my mangoes were not that sweet so I used 3/4 cup and it was perfect.
- As the cake uses mango pulp, it keep well only for 2 days. Dont refrigerate the cake, as it would become hard.
Mango, curd and rava gives a wonderful texture to the cake/bread that the cake came out beyond my expectation that everyone loved it at home. The nutty crunch in every bite tasted out of the world...yummmy.
The mango bread looked so lovely that my camera didnt stop clicking at all :) The smell of the mango cake while it was baking was too gud that I cudnt move out of the kitchen. Usually I like cutting cakes into pieces and when it comes to slicing breads I just luv them and this cakes texture was just perfect to make slices. Trust me and go ahead to try this cake.
Making a blog post has become like one of my daily chores these days and I feel so much contented after making each new post and each comment I moderate justifies the hard work I put in for that post. Thank you readers :)