Hope you all had a great new year. I made a simple baking on new years eve - Eggless basic sponge cake which is everyones favorite at home, will post the recipe sooner. The day went great too, started off with receiving phone calls, then visiting temple, then to a near by park finishing it up with a dinner at a new restaurant.
When it comes to chats I can never say no to it. Bread being my favourite thought to give a try chats with it and it has been a instant hit at home. Here goes the easy and sure low fat chats:
Bread dahi chat is an out come of trying to reproduce dahi poori cutting down the deep frying and potatos alone. So instead of bread you can use pooris too.
- Soak green gram for 30mins and pressure cook until soft and keep aside.
- Dry toast the bread in a dosa pan (or add little oil and toast) until crispy or toast it using a toaster which makes it very crispy. Cut each bread slice into 4.
- Now for the assembling : Lay the bread slices first(may be 9 peices in a plate), add boiled green gram, then add the chutneys generously. Spread a layer of curd over it, then chopped raw onions then garnish it with sev and chopped coriander leaves.
Both the chats are very easy to make if you have the chutneys ready. The chutneys keeps well for about a month so make it in advance and refrigerate them.
- Dip the bread slices in water, immediately squeeze it and transfer this to a bowl and smash it.
- Now add chopped onions, turmeric powder, chilli powder and mix it well enough to form patties. Now form small sized balls and pat them using ur palms. Heat oil in a dosa pan and toast the vadas till slightly cripsy and browned
- Now for the assembling : First add little curd mixed, drizzle very little green and red chutneys then add the vadas on top of it add the remaining curd enough for the vadas to immerse fully. Then drizzle the remaining green and red chutney on top. Garnish with boondis and finely chopped coriander leaves.
The idea of bread dahi vada was from a TV show but I vaguely remembered the recipe, so modified it according to our taste, it is ammas most favorite and bread dahi chat is my favorite :)