This is one of my fav thepla recipes, over the days I have modified the recipe according my family taste and now this is my keeper recipe.
Methi Paratha Recipe – Ingredients
Fresh Methi leaves – 3/4 cup chopped roughly
Oil – 2 tbsp
Curd – 2 tbsp
Besan flour – 2 tbsp
Red chili powder – 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Coriander seeds powder – 3/4 tsp
Jeera powder – 3/4 tsp
Salt – to taste
Water – as required to knead the dough
- .Chop the methi leaves roughly. Saute the methi leaves until it shrinks and reduces in volume.. Sauting the methi leaves avoids bitterness.In a bowl, add together wheat flour, salt, coriander powder, red chili powder, cumin seeds , curd, besan flour,oil, turmeric powder and required salt.
- Add the sauted methi leaves to the above mixture. Add water little by little and combine them together to form a soft pilable dough.The dough should have the consistency similar to a roti dough.Cover and leave aside for 15-30 mins. Pinch lemon equal sized balls and roll them to form smooth balls.
- Roll them into thin rotis.Heat tawa, carefully add the rotis , drizzle oil. Cook the theplas on both sides till cooked(until brown spots appear here and there).Serve them hot with onion raita/pickle.
Serve hot with curd and mango pickle…yum!
This is best for travel as it need no main side dish, you can serve with just plain curd / pickle.
- Pluck the leaves, rinse it well before sauteing to get rid of the dirt if any.
- You cna make them thin / thick theplas as per your choice.
- These rotis are very soft, they dont get spoiled soon so ideal for travel. It can be had as such or with any pickle.
- Sauting the methi leaves avoids bitterness in rotis. You can use buttermilk also instead of curd which makes the rotis even more softer.