Now over to wheat flour / godhumai maavu murukku
The book had so many interesting recipes using whole wheat and wheat flour so am going to try one by one but only after Diwali:) So stay tuned! I am almost at the end of posting Diwali special recipes, still have 2-3 more to go….It was such a busy month for me, cooking an array of diwali special recipes, clicking them every now and then…ahh definitely like a roller coaster ride for me 🙂
Wheat Flour Murukku Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Snack | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Wheat Flour – 1 cup
Chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
White Sesame Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Butter(at room temperature) – 1/2 tsp
Hing – 1/8 tsp
Salt – to taste
Oil – to deep fry
Water – as required
- Measure wheat flour and transfer the flour to a clean white cloth.Bring the ends and tie a knot so that no moisture goes inside.Steam cook for atleast 20mins.I used my idli steamer with water underneath, and placed the bag on my idiyappam plate as shown.Keep covered with a lid and steam cook.
- After 20mins, let it cool down a bit.Once its warm enough to handle open the bag.Break the lumps with a spoon.Now sieve it, discard the coarse mixture.
- Now take the flour in a mixing bowl along with red chilli powder,butter,hing,sesame seeds and required salt.Mix it well with your hands first.
- Now add water little by little to form a smooth nonsticky dough as shown.You can see how clean it has come together as its nonsticky.Take your murukku press and grease it well.I used my star press mould.
- Fill your murukku press with the dough and start pressing into murukkus.I pressed it in 2 laddles and flipped it in oil.You can even press it directly into oil.
- Deep fry till golden browned.Drain in tissue paper.Repeat the process until the entire dough finishes.
Cool down then store in an airtight container.
- You can use any press of your choice.
- I used homemade wheat flour.You can use store bought flour too.
- The dough should be nonsticky, the texture of flour should be same like rice flour after steaming.
- If you are comfortable and can handle the heat, you can press the murukku directly in oil.
- You can even add 2-3 murukkus at a time while frying.My kadai was is small so I pressed small sized murukku so I added one/ two at a time.
- You can replace sesame seeds with jeera.You can use black sesame seeds too.
- Cook in low medium flame and regulate heat as and when it goes high / low.