Vishu falls on 15th April 2015 and this vishu kanji is traditionally made for vishu festival along with vishu katta.I will be posting vishu katta next week.Check out more vishu recipes that I posted earlier.
Few months back, when I was clearing my fridge, I saw this unakkalari rice which I got for making paal payasam last year and it was kept untouched, so I started to search for recipes using it and landed up in this vishu kanji recipe.After that I’ve made this kanji 2-3 times as me and amma loved it soo much.Vishu Kanji is nothing but a very simple porridge made with a combination of rice varieties, mochai and coconut milk.The subtle flavour of coconut milk comes throughout while we eat this kanji. We chose to make this vishu kanji when it was lunch for just the 2 of us so made a vegetable curry to go along with it….Perfect lunch it was!
Vishu Kanji Recipe
Recipe Category: Porridge | Recipe Cuisine: Indian|Recipe Reference : Kothiyavunu
Unakkalari Rice – 1/2 cup
Raw Rice – 1/2 cup
Mochai – 1/4 cup
Coconut Milk – 2 cups
Coconut – 1/4 cup freshly grated
Water – 3 cups
Salt – to taste
- Dry roast mochai till golden,soak in hot water for an hr.Pressure cook for 3-4 whistles or until soft.Set aside.Take raw rice and grind it coarsely.
- Rinse both the rice and pressure cook with 3 cups of water,required salt for 4-5 whistles till its mushy.Mash it well with a laddle.Then add coconut milk.
- Mix well and cook for 2mins, then add cooked mochai and cook for 2mins, the consistency should be slightly runny as it gets thick later.Finally garnish with grated coconut and switch off.
Serve hot / warm!
- As per the orginal recipe it was asked to cook both rice separately but I cooked it together but didn’t find any issues with it.As the unkkalari rice I had was broken, I coarse grinded raw rice too to cook both rice evenly.
- I used 1 cup thick coconut milk and another thin coconut milk.
- Unakkalari is a special type of Kerala Raw rice which gives a unique flavour to the kanji.You can replace it with rose matta rice too.