Schezwan / Sichuan / Szechuan is a style of Chinese cuisine originating from Sichuan province in southwestern China.Schezwan Sauce has bold flavours,especially the pungency and spiciness resulting from liberal use of garlic and chilies[Source : Wikipedia]
I actually planned to post something else today but since I am down with cold and sore throat I chose to post this recipe which I had written and kept in drafts already, so wait for more interesting recipes this week 🙂
Sidedish Recipes which pairs well with fried rice :
- Gobi Manchurian
- Baby Corn Manchurian, Baby Corn Manchurin Gravy
- Chilli Paneer
- Veg Balls Manchurian
- Mushroom Manchurian
Schezwan Fried Rice Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Main | Recipe Cuisine: Indian
Cooked Basmati Rice – 1 cup
Carrot,Cabbage and Beans – 3/4 cup chopped finely
Capsicum – 1/3 cup chopped finely(I used yellow, green)
Garlic – 2 tsp chopped finely
Schezwan sauce – 1 tbsp
Spring Onion(white part) – 1 tsp
Spring Onion(green part) – 1 tsp
Pepper powder – 1 tsp
Olive Oil / Cooking Oil – 1 tbsp + 1 tsp
Salt – to taste
- Rinse rice, Soak rice for 15mins. Pressure cook it 2 cups of water for 3 whistles.Once pressure releases open and add a tsp of oil,Fluff it off with a fork, keep aside.Chop and keep all the veggies ready.Heat olive oil in a pan, add garlic and spring onions white part,fry for 2 mins.
- Add cabbage and saute for few mins until raw smell leaves, saute for atleast 2mins in high flame.THen add carrot and beans, saute for a good 5mins so that the veggies shrink and raw smell completely leaves.Then add capsicum, saute for a minute.
- Add schezwan sauce,required salt and pepper powder.Saute and cook for 3-5mins.Then add cooked rice , add little by little.
- Toss till the sauce and veggies coat the riceevenly.Finally add spring onion green part, give a quick stir and Switch off.Garnish with little spring onions green part while serving.
Serve hot with your choice of side dish or any manchurian.
- You can even use leftover rice for this recipe but I prefer basmati rice for all my fried rice recipes.
- I soaked basmati rice for 15 mins then pressure cooked for 1:2 ratio(rice:water) for 3 whistles in medium low flame.
- Use freshly ground pepper for a great flavour.
- If you prefer add 1/8 tsp soya sauce.
- Sauteing the veggies in high flame gives a nice smoky flavour and also helps retain its crunchiness without the raw smell.
- Cook rice perfectly not too mushy or undercook it.It should be soft yet grains seperated this can be attained easily by soaking rice then pressure cooking.
- You can use the pot method for cooking rice but the rice grains easily break so I prefer pressure cooking method.Also in pot method all the flavour of basmati rice goes along with the drained water itself so we should be very careful to cook it with required water.
- Make sure to toss the fried rice in oil to avoid sticking.Also let it cool for a while then add it.
- If you dont have schezwan sauce in hand, for a instant version add red chillies, ginger and garlic along with little water and grind it to a fine paste.Along with garlic and spring onions add this paste and saute till raw smell leaves.