Pepper Thattai / Milagu Thattai is another variation to our regular thattai recipe.This pepper thattai turned out to be so flavourful that even those who are not fond of thattais will love it just like me 🙂 As its Gokulashtami tomorrow, thought to post this pepper thattai that I tried a while back.I have no experience in thattai making but understood that the perfection comes only by practise.I am sure this year my thattais were far better than the ones I made for the first time.
Pepper Thattai Recie
Recipe Category: Main | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Rice flour – 1 cup
Fried Gram Dal – 2 tbsp
Butter(at room temperature) – 3/4 tsp
Channa Dal – 1 tsp
Whole Black Pepper – 1 tsp
Asafoetida – a tiny pinch
Curry leaves – 10 leaves
Salt – to taste
Oil – for deep frying
- Take rice flour in the mixing bowl.Grind fried gram dal(pottukadalai) in a mixer to a fine powder.
- Add it to rice flour.Then add whole pepper and curry leaves in the mixer jar and grind it to a coarse mixture,Set aside.
- Soak chana dal for 10mins.Now to the mixing bowl add chana dal and pepper mixture with salt and butter.Mix well.
- Now add water little by little to form a smooth dough.The dough should not be too tight.Take a lemon sized ball, I used 1 tbsp measure to get all the balls of even size.
- Make few balls, then take a plasic sheet grease it with oil. Keep a ball, place another plastic sheet over it then press it with a flat surfaced bowl.
- Prick with fork to avoid puffing up.Carefully remove it from the plastic sheet.Flatten as thin as possible only then you will get crisp thattais.
- Heat oil,carefully add 2-3 thattais at a time, deep fry till golden brown.This will take time to cook atleast 3mins for each batch so fry patiently in low medium flame.Then drain in tissue paper.
Cool down and Store in airtight container.
- Do not forget to prick with fork to avoid puffing up.
- The more thinnner you press the thattais will be crispier.If you have a thick thattai then it will chewy and not crisp.
- Cook in low medium flame.
- The dough should not be too tight.If its tight, then it will crack while pressing.