Last Updated on December 7, 2020
Mushroom Do Pyaza is nothing but mushrooms with double the amount of onions.Do means 2(double) pyaza means onions in hindi.It is a simple but flavourful mushroom in onion tomato based curry. I received a reader request to make Mushroom Do Pyaza so googled around to find the recipe.
Mushroom Do Pyaza is a semi gravy sidedish which is apt with pulaos / jeera rice or even plain basmati rice, not to forget the pairing with phulkas…apt combo!
Mushroom Do Pyaza Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Sidedish | Recipe Cuisine: North Indian
Cleaned Mushroom – 1/2 cup
Onions – 1 cups chopped lengthwise
Tomatoes – 2
Ginger garlic paste – 1 tsp
Turmeric Powder – a tiny pinch
Coriander powder – 1 tsp
Chilli Powder – 1 tsp
Jeera Powder – 1/2 tsp
Garam Masala Powder – 1 tsp
Fresh Cream – 1.5 tbsp
Coriander leaves – 2 tsp
Oil – 1/2 tbsp
Salt – as required
- Clean mushroom and slice each mushroom into 3-4 slices.Peel the skin of onions and half it.Cut further into slices lengthwise and open out the layers,Set aside.Grind tomatoes to a fine paste to a puree,Set aside.
- In a pan heat oil – add jeera and cardamom let it splutter.Add ginger garlic paste and onions, fry till slightly browned.Then add tomato puree along with red chilli powder,jeera powder,garam masala powder and coriander powders.I forgot to add turmeric powder but added it next stage.
- Mix well and saute till raw smell of tomatoes leave.Then add mushroom, saute for 2mins it will leave out little water, then sprinkle some more water and cook covered for 3-5mins.
- Finally add fresh cream, let it boil for a minute.Finally garnish with coriander leaves and switch off.
Its apt with rotis or naans. I like it with hot steamed rice / jeera rice and dhal, sure a comforting combination.
- You can skip cream and add 2 tsp milk too.
- You can even reserve little onions deep fry in oil till nicely browned and add it at the last stage.
- Adjust spicelevel too as I liked mine a bit less spicy.