It is my long time wish to try mor milagai, usually we buy it from supermarkets.This summer mor milagai was the first summer special I tried and the next was vadams but I posted vadams first.I just tried a small batch as nobody is so fond of it except me and amma can have it occasionally.I love to have with kanji, neeragaram, kambu koozh or just curd rice.
Mor Milagai is nothing green chillies soaked in curd , salt and sundried till crispy.It is one of the popular condiments in South Indian Cuisine.
Mor Milagai Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Sidedish | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Green Chillies – 30 chillies
Sour Curd – 1 cup
Salt – 3 tsp
- I took about 30 chillies which came around 1 cup.Slit open each chilli for the salt and curd to get inside, set aside.Take curd in a wide mixing bowl.
- Whisk the curd well.Marinate the chillies.Add salt and mix well.
- Set aside overnight.Then next day morning take the chillies and spread it in a plate and keep it under sun the whole day.
- Then again take the chillies and soak it in curd.Keep it marinated the whole day.Then next day sun dry it.Repeat this process for atleast 4 days then sun dry it for a week atleast, depends on the sunlight you receive.It may look ripe after 3-4 days don’t worry just keep drying it in sun.I transferred to a plate after 3 days of drying.
- Sun dry it till its completely dry.Then store in a airtight container and fry when you need it.Heat oil in a tadka pan, once oil is hot add few chillies and fry till dark brown.
Serve with curd rice!
- If the curd is very thick dilute it little.I used homemade curd which was apt.
- You can use any variety of green chilli.I used the long stout variety.You can even use thin variety.
- Use a clean laddle to mix , don’t use your hands.
- It is a must to soak it atleast for 4 days so that curd and salt to get inside.
- Store in airtight container and refrigerate it.You can even keep this upto a year .
- While frying, once oil is heated up, lower the flame and then fry the chillies to avoid burning.