When you plan to start foods other than mothers feed it is always recommended to start with liquid foods as its easily digestable, then you can slowly move on to purees once the baby starts 5th month.I started with carrot water and dal soup then moved on to this mixed vegetable soup and now started with purees.These soup varieties are best to start for 4th,5th month babies.
Check other baby food recipes
But remember mothers feed is the best and its always good to start with other food only after the baby finishes 6 months.This 4-5 months baby food recipes will help those who are not able to breast feed due to personal / medical conditions.Always consult your paediatrician before introducing any new food.
Mixed Vegetable Soup – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Baby Food | Recipe Cuisine: Indian
Beetroot – a small piece
Carrot – 1 small
Beans – 2
Cabbage -a small piece
Broccoli -1 floret
Toor Dal – 1 tbsp
Water – 1/2 cup
Garlic – 1 clove
Jeera – 1/4 tsp
Hing – a tiny pinch
Turmeric powder – 1/8 tsp
- Take the broccoli floret and add it to warm water, set aside for few mins.Now rinse the vegetables well,strain the water.
- Now add the vegetables to a pressure cooker, add water then add jeera,garlic salt,turmeric powder and hing.
- Rinse toor dal well, drain water and add the dal to the pressure cooker.Pressure cook for 3 -4 whistles or until the veggies and dal turns soft and mushy.
- Once the pressure releases, let it cool down for a while then pulse it well.
- Use a strainer and filter the water alone.Press it nicely with a spoon so that the juice is extracted completely.Discard the pulp or you can even add it to sambar.
- You can even replace toor dal with moong dal.If using moong dal roast till nice aroma comes then proceed.
- The mix of vegetables is purely your choice.
- When you first start, start with liquid foods like vegetable filtered soups that helps in easy digestion.You can then move gradually to purees within a week or so.If you want to feed for babies over 6 months then puree it using a mixie and feed it as such.
- Don’t use a double cloth strainer.
- If its not hot, dont heat up the soup directly.Keep it inside boiling water to heat it upI am not against adding salt but its upto you to decide whether to introduce salt / sweet to your baby.But as I started weaning foods only after 6months I occasionally add salt for his food, but I suggest to skip it atleast till 6months completion.
- You can even use a combination of dals for this soup.
- You can use masoor dal.
- Rinse the dal and veggies well before pressure cooking.