Last Updated on December 7, 2020
I always held back to click and post nonveg dishes somehow it was not in my comfort zone all these days. But few office collegues and friends had requested to post non veg recipes so am planning to post it occasionally.Finally here sharmis passions has its first non veg recipe 🙂 Fish is mittus fav and as I type this with her on my lap, she saw the pics and now she is asking for fish 🙂
Fish Kuzhambu Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Sidedish | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Fish – 8 pieces(I used Vanjaram fish variety)
Tamarind – lemon sized
Turmeric powder – a generous pinch
Coriander leaves – 1 tsp
Salt- to taste
Coconut – 1/4 cup
Fennel seeds – 1 tsp
Chilli powder – 1 tsp
Coriander powder – 2 tsp
To saute & grind:
Oil – 1 tsp
Tomato – 1 chopped roughly
Big Onion – 1/2 chopped roughly
Small Onion – 6
Oil – 2 tbsp
Vadagam (the one used for tempering) / Vendhayam – 1 tsp
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Small Onion – 10
Garlic – 5 pearls
Tomato – 1
Curry leaves – few
- In a tsp of oil saute onion tomato till it shrinks and raw smell leaves.Add all the ingredients listed under ‘to grind’ in a mixer along with onion tomato.Sprinkle little water and grind it to a fine paste.
- Soak tamarind in warm water(say 1/4 cup), extract pulp and keep aside. Heat remaining oil in the kadai add mustard seeds, allow it to splutter. Clean fish, wash it well and add turmeric powder and set aside.Then add curry leaves, onion, garlic saute for 3mins then add tomatoes saute until raw smell leaves.
- Then add the grinded paste,turmeric powder. Add 1/4 cup water(adjust according to thickness) , required salt and allow it to boil for 15-20mins.Add tamarind pulp and allow it to boil
- When oil seperates add the cleaned fish pieces. Allow it to boil and the fish to cook well.
- The fish will cook faster so be careful not to break the pieces. Once the fish turns soft and the curry is well boiled and thick, oil will start collecting at the edges as shown below. At this stage garnish with coriander leaves and switch off.
Give resting time for atleast an hour before you serve. Serve hot with rice, tastes heavenly. Tastes best the next day or even after that 🙂
- Once fish is added it gets cooked faster so cant boil for more time, so allow the curry to boil well before the fish is added, which gives a nice taste to the curry.
- You can even marinate the fish with little salt, turmeric powder and lemon as suggested by a reader.