You can even make the batter ready the previous day and make the seeyams on Diwali….though resting the batter may cause the seeyams to drink little more oil…lets not worry about the calories for the special day and make a strong decision to work out after Diwali…yes thats how I have pledged for myself 🙂
My cousin pushed me to post this recipe….so gave a quick try and as soon as I finished the clicks it got over in mins.The lighting played hide and seek with me so hubby was holding the board for my clicks so finished the clicks soon.:)
Masala Seeyam Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Snack | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Raw Rice(Pacharisi) – 1/2 cup
Urad Dal – 1/2 cup
Big Onion – 1 finely chopped / Small Onion – 6 finely chopped
Coconut – 2 tbsp
Salt – to taste
Oil – to deep fry
Oil – 2 tsp
Mustard seeds – 3/4 tsp
Curry Leaves – few chopped finely
Green Chillies – 2 finely chopped
- Measure raw rice and urad dal equally and soak it for atleast 2 hrs.Add water little by little and grind to a fluffy batter(like idli batter).Set aside.
- In a kadai – heat oil add the items listed under ‘to temper’ then add onions nad fry till slightly browned then add coconut give a quick stir and switch off.
- Transfer the above sauted ingredients to the batter along with required salt and mix well.Heat oil – when the oil gets heated up make the doughs into round balls with your hand and carefully drop it into the preheated oil.
- Turn over to other side and fry till golden brown.Drain in tissue and enjoy your seeyams.
- Dont bother about the exact round shapes while dropping into oil.
- You can even add 1 tbsp sago(javvarisi) while soaking rice and urad dal.
- Make sure you grind the batter fine and fluffy. I used grinder for grinding the batter.You can even use mixie but the seeyams willb e slightly hard so I recommend using grinder.
- This is crispy outside and soft inside.
- If by mistake you have grinded the batter very runny then add 1 tbsp rice flour and mix well but dont add more.
- I recommend adding small onion as it gives a great flavour.