Masala Seeyam is a tasty, savoury snack made by frying the rice & urad dal dollops of batter. Masala Seeyam is one of the Chettinad special dishes made for breakfast or as a teatime snack and is relished with chutney.
Masala Seeyam Recipe is one of the Chettinad special dishes they make for either breakfast or as a teatime snack.I have already posted the sweet seeyam recipe so wanted to post this savory version of seeyam amma makes. Seeyam is always made for diwali in our native both sweet and the savory versions.It is traditionally called as Masala Cheeyam.
Amma says the leftover batter from sweet seeyam is usually used to make masala seeyam.
You can even make the batter ready the previous day and make the seeyams on Diwali….though resting the batter may cause the seeyams to drink little more oil…lets not worry about the calories for the special day and make a strong decision to work out after Diwali…yes thats how I have pledged for myself 🙂
My cousin pushed me to post this recipe….so gave a quick try and as soon as I finished the clicks it got over in mins.
Tried this Masala Seeyam Recipe ? Do let me know how you liked it. Also tag us on Instagram @sharmispassions and hash tag it on #sharmispassions.
📖 Recipe Card
- 1/2 cup raw rice / pacharisi
- 1/2 cup urad dal
- 1/4 cup small onion sliced
- 2 tablespoon coconut grated
- salt to taste
- oil to deep fry
- 2 teaspoon oil
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- few nos curry leaves finely chopped
- 1 no green chillies finely chopped
- Measure raw rice and urad dal equally(I took 1/2 and 1/2) and soak it for at least 2 hrs. Add water little by little and grind to a fluffy batter (like idli batter). Set aside.
- In a kadai - heat oil add the items listed under 'to temper' then add onions along with required salt. Saute till transparent, then add coconut give a quick stir and switch off.
- Transfer the above sauted ingredients to the batter along with required salt and mix well.
- Heat oil - check by dropping a pinch of ball if it rises immediately then oil is ready.
- When the oil gets heated up make small round balls with your hand, wipe excess at the sides and carefully drop it into the preheated oil. Fry till colour changes.
- Turn over to other side and fry till golden brown. Drain in tissue and enjoy your seeyam.
- Repeat to finish the batter. Masala Seeyam Ready!
- Don't bother about the exact round shapes while dropping into oil.
- Make sure you grind the batter fine and fluffy. Using grinder gives best results, but as its small amount I used mixie only.
- If by mistake you have grinded the batter very runny then add 1 tablespoon rice flour and mix well but don't add more.
- I recommend adding small onion as it gives a great flavour.
How to make Masala Seeyam Recipe
In a kadai – heat oil add the items listed under ‘to temper’ then add onions along with required salt. Saute till transparent, then add coconut give a quick stir and switch off.
Transfer the above sauted ingredients to the batter along with required salt and mix well.
Heat oil – check by dropping a pinch of ball if it rises immediately then oil is ready.When the oil gets heated up make small round balls with your hand, wipe excess at the sides and carefully drop it into the preheated oil.Turn over to other side and fry till golden brown.Drain in tissue and enjoy your seeyam.
Repeat to finish the batter.
Crispy hot masala seeyam ready to be served.Serve hot!