I went almost crazy for about a month spending most of the weekends for diwali special recipes to be posted here. Because as a working mom, the luzury of weekends was just lazing around but blogging has changed my routine completely, sure in a good way and I am enjoying every bit of it!!
Suzhiyam / Suzhiyan / Seeyam Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Sweet | Recipe Cuisine: Indian
For the Pooranam (Inner stuffing):
Chana dal – 1/2 cup
Jaggery – 1/2 cup
Cardamom powder – 1 tsp
Coconut – 1.5 tbsp
For Outer Wrap:
Idly Dosa Batter – 1/2 cup
Oil – to deep fry
Salt – a pinch(if needed)
NOTE: Maida can be replaced with idli dosa batter and can be used as a instant version. If using maida, dilute it with water to idli dosa batter consistency.
- For the inner pooranam : Dry roast channa dal till a nutty aroma comes, dont let it brown. Then soak it in water for atleast 1 hour.
- Then cook channa dal with water until soft but not mushy(It should still be in shape if you press it). Drain water from channa dal and keep aside.I was not confident in pressure cooking channa dal so cooked it in a open pan.
- Dry roast coconut till the moisture leaves. Grind channa dal with jaggery to a coarse mixture- Use the pulse option in ur mixie and press it on and off, dont make it a paste.
- Add roasted coconut,cardomom powder to the grinded channa dal jaggery mixture. Make small lemon sized balls and keep it ready.
- Take 1/2 cup of odli dosa batter in a bowl. Take each ball and immerse it in the batter, dip well such that it coats on all sides.
- Deep fry them in preaheated oil. The balls tend to stick to each other , try to leave space between. Anyways we can seperate them after taking it out too.
- Turn over to other side and cook on both sides. Take them while they turn golden brown. Drain it in a tissue and enjoy your seeyams.
- You can use either idli dosa batter or maida for the outer wrap, its purely your preference. But I like the ones made with idli dosa batter as they are more crispy.
- Do not add water to the idli dosa batter, if the batter is runny then the seeyams will drink more oil.