Lachha paratha is very easy paratha only that you need to know the trick to make the layers.Finally I tried it few months back, Actually I tried lachha paratha last year itself after seeing my friends post , it came out good but I couldn’t get the layers perfectly then totally forgot about this paratha.Recently when I saw this in a menu card of a restaurant tada the light shined and I made it the next day itself and clicked.But this time I am completely satisfied, the layers were beautifully shown and the taste was soo good.After that I have made it around 3-4 times and now its going to be regular atleast for mittus sake :)I love all North Indian food so this is no exception, and to my surprise mittu loved it too.This lachha paratha is sure a better alternate for maida parotta, this is sure suited for kids and we can occasionally have it when we are craving for parotta 😉
Lachha Paratha Recipe
Recipe Category: Main | Recipe Cuisine: North Indian
- In a wide mixing bowl add wheat flour, salt and first give a quick mix for salt to be even. Then add water little by little, gather to form a soft pliable dough.The dough should not be too tight or too loose, it should be non sticky at this stage.Allow it to rest for atleast 30mins.
- Now pinch a big lemon sized ball and roll it as thin as possible.Now apply 1/2-3/4 tsp ghee on the paratha such that ghee is evenly applied, then sprinkle little wheat flour on it.
- From one end start to make pleats as shown below.Take a small strip and fold it backwards making pleats till the other edge is reached.It should look like this after the pleat is done.Just swing the strip so that it stretches a bit, don’t overdo.
- Roll it and bring one edge towards the other edge in a circular manner as shown below.Gently take the outer edge and press it inwards so that its sealed and doesn’t open up whil rolling.
- Press it slightly to flatten it.Now roll the paratha to 1/4 inch thickness as shown below.Dust flour as and when needed.
- Now heat a dosa tawa, place the paratha once bubbles start appearing on one side turn to other side.Cook in medium heat.Drizzle ghee / oil and toast till brown spots appear on both the sides.Repeat the process till the dough gets over.
Serve hot with any gravy of your choice.
- Do not apply much pressure while rolling so that the layers are visible.
- Also the dough should be like our chapathi dough soft and pliable.
- If you make more pleats then you will get many layers.
- Stack the cooked parathas and gently pat the sides of the paratha so that the layers start separately showing outside but only gently else it will start to tear.I did not do it.
- Do not flip the parathas more than 2-3 times else the parathas will become hard and very crispy.
- The parathas will be flaky and crispy on the outside and soft inside.
- I used homemade chapathi flour, you can even use multigrain atta.
- Do not skip ghee as it ensures the layers stay till the paratha gets cooked.If you don’t add ghee you will not get proper layers.You can replace ghee with oil.May be you can reduce / omit ghee/oil while toasting incase you are diet conscious 🙂
- You can use the leftover inner stuffing for making sweet paratha for kids, tastes great.
- Make sure you press the edge of the strip inwards and seal it else it will start opening out while the paratha gets cooked.
- Sure the making process is time consuming what you can do it make 2 parathas ready then start cooking, while one gets cooked you can make another paratha.
- Lachha paratha is heavy by itself so I would recommend to have a mild sidedish, dal would be perfect!