Kovakkai Curry Recipe
Recipe Category: Sidedish | Recipe Cuisine: SSouth Indian
Kovakkai(Tindora) – 2 cups sliced thin
Big Onion – 1/2 finely chopped
Red Chilli powder – 1 tsp
Coriander powder – 2 tsp
Salt – to taste
To grind to a paste:
Tomato – 1 big sized chopped roughly
Big Onion – 1/2 roughly
Fennel seeds – 1/2 tsp
Oil – 3 tsp
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Urad Dal – 3/4 tsp
Curry leaves – a sprig
- Rinse tindora well, trim both the ends.Then slice it as fine as possible as shown in the pic, Set aside. Grind together onion tomato with fennel seeds to a fine paste, set aside. Heat oil in pan – add the items listed under ‘to temper’ let it splutter then add onion and fry till slightly browned.
- Them add the tomato-onion paste along with spice powders and fry till raw smell of tomatoes leave.Then add the veggie and saute and cook for 2mins until the masalas blend well with the veggie.Add required salt.
- Add water till immersing level and cook keeping it covered. Once it turns soft, let it cook for 3mins until the curry becomes dry.Switch off.
Serve with hot rice and any kuzhambu of your choice.
- You can add a pinch of garam masala for extra zing.
- Instead of big onion, you can even add small onion.
- Slice it thin so that it gets cooked evenly.
- Choose nice green tindora not the ripe one.