I have posted pictures of fresh khoya and also the picture of it after 1 day to show you the texture difference.
Homemad Khoya Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Main | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Milk – 1 and 1/2 liters
- Boil milk in wide thick bottomed pan, I used my nonstick pan.Let it boil till it reduces to half.Stir every now and then to avoid burning at the bottom.
- Let it boil, keep the flame in low or low medium but take care to stir often.This is after almost 20minutes.
- Now it starts to thicken,the malai starts to form thick, stir it well.Scrap the sides and mix well.Keep boiling.
- By this time most of the water vaporises from the milk making ti even more thicker.You can see solids forming here and there then few mins later you can see thick solid.See the consistency.
- See the bottom it is clean, stirring often will not let khoya burn / stick to the bottom.Now reduce the flame to lowest as at this stage there is more chances of burning.Keep stirring until it forms a thick mass with no liquid content.This is almost after 1 hr.It will leave the sides of the pan now.
- Like this…Now cool down and store in a clean container and refrigerate it.
You can see after a day the khoya becomes thick and creamy.
- Use a nonstick pan so that it doesn’t stick much.
- Also stirring often is the main tip.
- I used a and 1/2 liters of cows milk and got around 1 and 1/4 cups of khoya.You can use any packet milk too.
- I used my induction stove to avoid milk from overflowing. You can either use stove or induction stove.
- Use clean spoon everytime.Also while milk boils and thickens, use the same spatula make sure it is clean.
- Khoya can be used for many Indian sweets, curries,gravies etc.
- Khoya thickens more after it gets cooled down.
- It keeps well for 3 days if refrigerated.
- Cooking time may vary depending on the size of pan and also the water content in milk.
- Use a little wider spatula so that it covers most of the bottom area to avoid missing some bottom surface.When you miss stirring some area then it will burn and stick to the bottom.
- Make sure you cool down completely before you refrigerate it.