Chocolate Mousse is a creamy delicious dessert made by melting marshmallows, chocolates & butter and refrigerating it. Chocolate Mousse is a perfect dessert for birthdays, parties and grand buffet. Chocolate Mousse Recipe is explained in this post with step by step pictures.
I had bookmarked this recipe long back but didnt have luck getting marshmallows so had to wait long. Finally I found them accidentally when I was grocery shopping, so picked it up with no second thoughts. This was the first time I tried, tasted chocolate mousse and should say this recipe is a winner. Easy and yummy dessert within minutes.
I started Sharmis Passions on March 3rd 2009. 3 years of bonding I should say!!
Apart from being just a blog, it has changed my life sure in a better way. It has introduced me new cuisines, food styling, food photography, blogging which were all just terms to me when I started 3yrs back and given me a identity too.
Million thanks for the great support and the 1.6 millon hits so far!!
Stepping into the 4th year with all your support , encouragement and wishes!
If you have any more questions about this Chocolate Mousse Recipe do mail me at [email protected]. In addition, follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest, Youtube and Twitter .
Tried this Chocolate Mousse Recipe ? Do let me know how you liked it. Also tag us on Instagram @sharmispassions and hash tag it on #sharmispassions.
- 250 grams chocolate I used semi sweet
- 50 grams butter
- 150 grams marshmallows
- 60 ml water
- 250 ml cream I used Amul
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- chocolate sprinkles / nuts for garnish
- First add marshmallows, chopped cooking chocolate, butter in a non stick sauce pan. Heat it up.
- Add vanilla essence and water. Keep stirring until everything melts and blends together. Marshmallows take a little time to melt, keep stirring and breaking them for quick melting.
- Once everything is completely melted, switch off, keep aside(this starts setting so be quick to fold in with the cream).
- Quickly whip cream for until thick. Then fold in the chocolate marshmallows mixture to the cream.
- Mix well until its smooth and blended well (It will be runny at this stage).
- Pour into individual serving cups, garnish with nuts or chocolate sprinkles or chocolate shavings and refrigerate it for 1 hour or until serving time.
- The Chocolate mousse was intense and chocolatey perfect as a dessert after a meal.
- Chop the cooking chocolate for easier melting.
- You can also cut the marshmallows into halves. I didn't do that so it took a little longer for the marshmallows to melt. I didn't have luck to get the white plain marshmallows, but the pink ones were also fine and didn't have any flavour just the color was pink.
- Setting for at least an hour is recommended.
- No need to freeze it, it sets quicky so just refrigeration is enough.
Chocolate Mousse Recipe Step by Step
1. First add marshmallows, chopped cooking chocolate, butter in a non stick sauce pan. HEat it up. Add vanilla essence and water.
2. Keep stirring until everything melts and blends together. Marshmallows take a little time to melt, keep stirring and breaking them for quick melting.
3. Once everything is completely melted, switch off, keep aside(this starts setting so be quick to fold in with the cream). Quickly whip cream for until thick. Then fold in the chocolate marshmallows mixture to the cream.
4. Mix well until its smooth and blended well(It will be runny at this stage).Pour into individual serving cups, garnish with nuts or chocolate semiya or chocolate shavings and refrigerate it for 1 hour or until serving time.
To me it tasted close to chocolate icecream tastewise though the texture was midway to pudding. It was chocolatey , smooth and yummy just melts in the mouth.
The mousse was intense and chocolatey perfect as a dessert after a meal. The easiest part in this recipe is this doesnt call for any consistency check , just melt everything and combine with other ingredients..how easy is that?!
- Chop the cooking chocolate for easier melting. You can also cut the marshmallows into halves.I didnt do that so it took a little longer for the marshmallows to melt.
- I didnt have luck to get the white plain marshmallows, but the pink ones were also fine and didnt have any flavour just the color was pink.
- The orginal recipe calls for dark chocolate but I used semi sweet and recommend using it. But if you like the dark chocolate flavour then go ahead with that.
- I’ve given the orginal measures above but I halved the recipe and it yielded 4 small cups.
- Setting for atleast an hour is recommended.No need to freeze it, it sets quicky so just refrigeration is enough.
Congrats Sharmi on the blog anniversary, great going..:) Perfect dessert to celebrate the occassion..this looks absolutely yummy 🙂
Love it ! Congrats on completion of 3 years.. wish you many more years to come 🙂
Congrats on completeting 3 yrs, what a yummy way to celebrate it, awesome, love the texture..
Congrats on your blog birthday Sharmi.Mousse looks delicious,I am craving for some now:)
Hearty congrats sharmi for d blog anniversary..wish u many more!!
As I do not eat marshmallows I substitute wid silken tofu 4 this mousse..looks super n delicious
Congrats Sharmi on ur blog anniversary.Chocolate mousse is tempting.
Congrats ON ur blog anniversary. lovely clicks… sure it wud have tasted wow.. me too a big fan of Nigella
yummy ! Slurp !
Congrats and nice clicks
very simple and yummy….perfectly done!!congrats!
Hi dear sharmi congrats on your third year completion… Really as you said you have excellent talent in food photography…. Can you teach me how 🙂
Do visit, and post your valuable comments:)
Where does one buy cooking chocolate?does the label indicate bitterness/semi sweet nature of the chocolate? advise needed please.
Congrats on 3 yrs. here's to many more years of sharing recipes and love.
congrats on your blog birthday .. mouthwatering..looks perfect dessert
hearty congrats and wishes for many more ! perfect way to celebrate
Congratulation sharmi and wishing u many more!!!!
wonderful dessert 🙂
Congratulations on turning 3, Wish you many more such milestones! Anything chocolate is a winner for me, what better than a chocolate mousse for dessert!
Congrats on successfully & effectively executing this cookery blog for 3 long years. I am one of the greatest beneficiary of ur blog. I take the opportunity to thank you on this special day. Great going !! May ur blog keep growing for ever making dining interesting and happy
Congrats Shamilee for your blog aniversary. Perfect sweet treat for blog anniversary. Chocolate mousse looks delicious and superb…
My First Event – "COLOURFUL HOLI".
Congratulations on your successful blog run!! Here's hoping you get more adulation in the coming years 🙂
Just an observation that thought this is an eggless recipe it isn't exactly vegetarian. The marshmallow recipe calls for gelatin and store bought marshmallows usually contain eggs. I usually use store bought marshmallows to make this same thing and it turns out delicious. A crowd-pleaser every time!
congrats on ur 3rd blog anniversary and wish many more to come. Cute presentation and wonderful recipe
Looks awesome, pretty pictures 🙂 Loved the setup a lot!
Congratulations on your 3rd year blogging!! We expect more and more and more…Have a wonderful year ahead!!
Congratulations on 3rd Blog Anniversary!
A creamy and totally delicious chocolate mousse!
Congrats for such lovely feat and the dessert looks yum!
@Lavs : I got mine from Nilgiris…Morde or Marco brand is good, have seen it in Nuts & Spice too. Yes the label has bittersweet, semisweet or dark so check that and get it.
Very deicious ..Yummy
Congrats Sharmi on the milestone and wish you tons more to come. The mousse looks inviting and the clicks are gorgeous.
congrats sharmi.. chocolate mousse looks very much inviting.. my little one loves marshmallows and im sure she would love this one..
Congratulations Sharmi! Wishing your passion many more.
Many Many Congrats on your blog anniversary dear. What an appropriate way to celebrate it by preparing such an awesome dessert.
i too made this in my blog..i love it a lot..
Congratulations dear Sharmi on your blog's 3rd anniversary. What better than a yummy chocolatey delight to celebrate this milestone.
Congrats sharmi, chocolate mousse is so delicious.
Congrats and wishing many more delicious Years to come 🙂
Happy Blog Anniversary! Keep Growing and Glowing!
sharmi love this mousse! marshmallows looks cool. glad you got it and made!
i would like to try the veg mousse!
Congratulations! and here's to many more…
Delicious looking mousse.
Congrats…wishing you tons of happiness and success on the way..
Mousse looks super…Perfect for the celebration..
Congrats dear,perfect way to celebrate..mousse looks divine.
Congrats Sharmi ! chocolate mousse looks super delicious…loved it!!
OnGoing Event:kitchen Chronicles – Summer Splash
Ongoing Event : HITS~Fiber Rich Foods
Congrats!!! on your blog anniversary. Mousse looks delicious
Congrats! Good Job Keep it up.
Sharmi, congrats on completing 3 beautiful years at Sharmis Passions. Surely your journey has been successful and you have left us hooked to your space with an array of recipes, tempting photographs with a wide variety of choices ranging from starters to desserts. I still see so much passion and fire in you to persue your blog that it's bubbling and comes alive. It's brilliant work. Keep it up.
Coming to mousse, it looks yum! I can't resist grabbing some off my monitor!
THe mousse looks light and airy, lovely indeed. Congrats on completing 3 years.!
@NoodleHead :I knew gelatin was not vegetarian but never knew store bought mashmallows had eggs in it….There is a way even in pointing out mistakes…..thanks for putting it in the best possible way and I really appreciate it!
Have removed the eggless tag 🙂 Will surely come with a real eggless version of choc mousse sooner…:D
Congrats on your blog aniversary!
The mousse looks divine!
Congrats on your anniversary….the mouse looks awesome 🙂
Congratulations! This is another festive way to celebrate…I will have to try this mousse recipe. Yum!
Thanks for the wonderful, can't wait to try it out. But please clarify just one thing – you have mentioned cream in the list and then asked to whip it up. Is it just plain cream or whipped cream that we need to use for this recipe?
Wonderful recipe *
I used fresh cream which is just plain…works well for this recipe. Hope this helps!
Congrats and nice way to celebrate it
Congrats Sharmi on your milestone. May you reach out to the stars.
Love the mousse.
Thanks a lot for the clarification Sharmilee. I love your site and the easy step-by-step instructions that you give. Have tried quite a few recipes (aloo paratha, vanilla pudding, oven paneer tikka etc.) and all were huge hits. Only comment I had was that the eggless vanilla pudding was a bit too sweet, maybe you should put a note for ppl who dont like their sweets too sweet. Will try this mousse soon and let you know.
And yes, congrats on your 3rd anniversary. Here's wishing you many more prosperous anniversaries to come!
I hope you're not offended, Sharmi! I didn't mean to hurt your feelings 🙁 You're always so careful to mention such things, which is one of the reasons I rush to your site when I need a change from routine dishes!
@Noodlehead : Not at all 🙂 Now this gives me an opportunity to try another version of chocolate mousse…:)
Thats a fantastic one moutwatering…
For some reasons, I am not able to find semi-sweet cooking chocolate. Can I make do with Hershey's semi-sweet chocolate chips instead? Or what about cocoa powder?
@Umm: Go ahead with chocolate chips, it will work too. No, dont add coco powder.
Finally got semi-sweet choc and tried this, the taste was fine but I didn't get the consistency right, it was not porous, it was like a paste, what might have gone wrong? Also the color was too dark.
@Anon: Color can be becos of the chocolate variety that isnt an issue. If the gelatin is blended well and set correctly, the texture will be as shown….am really not sure what went wrong, sorry to hear that.
No worries Sharmi, I think it was just due to insufficient setting time, next day the texture was almost as shown in the picture, and the taste was awesome. I had reserved the remaining chocolate for making cheese cake some time, but my kids want me to make this again, such a big hit! Just another thought, when you say you halved the recipe, does it mean that the measures you have given are half of the original recipe, or you have halved from the measures you have given for this recipe? This is important because when you say, for example, you got 8 dosas, it is a little confusing if these ingredients give you this quantity or half of it gives you this quantity. I hope I am clear.
@Anon : Oh fine fine then setting time would not have been sufficient. Reg the measures yes I should have mentioned even more clearly….I halved from the orginal recipe but have given the orginal measures in the ingredients list(have updated it now).
any substitute fr gelatin?? M a vegetarian so often hv problem cooking things I dnt know substitutes for
@Unknown: You can use agar agar(china sugar)
Alryt Thnx 🙂
This came out awesome today! It is easy to make as u said. Great pics, those were really impressive. I'm glad I did THIS for dessert, thanks Sharmi! I've been following ur recipes for quite some time now and I so love the step wise pics, nice blog. Kudos!
Please share ur preparation of marshmallows