Homemade Eggless Mayonnaise yes you heard it right! I have always been tempted to pick up store bought mayonnaise but seeing the large jars, I always hold back picking them.I have tasted mayonnaise only 2 times once at Mc Donalds and in Subway sandwiches but vaguely remember the taste.
When PJ posted this homemade eggless mayonnaise,I was way too tempted too.So gave a try few weeks back and it came out sooo good, creamy and yummy. I used it for pasta and sandwiches, its very easy to put together when you have homemade mayonnaise.
This is not only cheap when compared to store bought jars of mayo and the benefit of making things homemade is that we know what goes into the making.
Eggless Mayonnaise Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Spread | Recipe Cuisine: Indian | Recipe Source : KitchenPlatter
Milk – 1/2 cup + 1/2 cup
Corn flour (Corn Starch) – 3 tbsp
Olive oil – 2 tbsp
White Vinegar – 1 tsp
Sugar – 1 tsp
Mustard seeds – 1/4 tsp
Black pepper powder – 1/4 tsp
Salt – 1/4 tsp
- Take cornflour in a mixing bowl, add 1/2 cup milk to it and whisk it well without any lumps.
- Take mustard seeds and powder it coarsely, I used my hand mortar and pestle to do this,Set aside.Take remaining 1/2 cup milk in a pan and heat it up.
- Once milk is boiled, add cornflour milk mixture and keep stirring with a whisk.Keep in low flame and keep cooking.
- Keep cooking it until its thick and creamy.Make sure the flame is low.
- Keep whisking until its thick.Cool down completely and then blend it to a smooth paste.
- See how creamy it is.Now transfer this to a bowl, add pepper powder,musstard seeds powder,sugar,salt, olive oil and vinegar.
- Whisk it well until its creamy.
Store in airtight container and refrigerate it.
- Blending the mixture until smooth is optional but I recommend doing so as it helps to remove lumps if any and also it gives a super creamy texture as store bought mayo.
- Make sure to cool down completely before blending.
- It keeps well for 3-4 days when refrigerated.
- Don’t skip mustard powder as its the main ingredient that gives flavour to mayonnaise.
- Use freshly ground pepper powder for a good texture and flavour.
- Use clean spoon everytime you use it.
- While cooking make sure its thick so that after adding wet ingredients we get the correct spreadable consistency.