Coconut Thogayal Recipe – Ingredients
Urad Dal – 1 tbsp
Hing – a small pinch
Dry Red Chilli – 2
Tamarind – 1 tsp
Oil – 1 tsp
Salt – to taste
- Heat oil – add urad dal and red chillies fry till golden brown.Then add tamarind,hing and fry for 2mins.Then add coconut.
- Saute till moisture leaves and slightly browned. Transfer this to a mixer,add required salt, little water and grind it to a semi coarse paste.
Serve it with hot steamed rice and rasam and papad – awesome combo!
- You can also use a tsp of chana dal and pepper for varaition.
- Thogayal is always thick and the texture should be semi coarse not too smooth.So adjust water accordingly.
- You can temper mustard seeds if you prefer.
- Adding tamarind adds a nice tangy flavour which I like the most.