Chakka Pradhaman Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Dessert | Recipe Cuisine: Kerala
Ripe Jack fruit pieces – 12
Jaggery – 1/2 cup
Water – 1/4 cup
Thick Coconut milk – 3/4 cup
Ghee – 3 tsp
Cashewnuts – 3 tsp broken
Coconut bits – 1 tbsp
Cardamom powder – a pinch
- Pressure cook jackfruit with immersing level water(keep it less say 2 tbsp) upto 2 whistles in medium flame or until soft. Cool down, drain water then grind to a fine paste, set aside. Heat 1 tsp ghee in a pan and add coconut bits and cashews , fry till golden brown, set aside.
- Mix jaggery with 1/4 cup water and break the lumps formed, strain(to remove impurities)and heat it up for 5mins until it bubbles(syrup consistency need not be checked). Add the jackfruit paste and mix until is evenly coated with jaggery.
- Let it become little thick, add remaining ghee then add coconut milk and give a quick stir. Dont let it boil for long after coconut milk is added as it will start to separate. So when it is about to boil switch if off and then add fried cashews, coconut bits, cardamom powder and give a stir. I reserved few cashews and coconut bits for garnishing while serving.
Serve it warm or cold with nuts and coconut bits. I love it cold!
- You can substitute coconut milk with dairy milk or use half and half too but coconut milk gives a unique flavour to this pradhaman.
- Coconut bits gives a nice crunchness to the pradhaman.
- Take care not to boil after coconut milk is added as the pradhaman will start to separate.
- Add more ghee(say 1 tbsp) if you prefer a rich pradhaman.