You can make this chutney with coconut also and make it thick like thogayal and serve it for rice…Spread the chutney and make a roll with chapathi….am sure your kids will have a change too.
Carrot Chutney Recipe
Recipe Category: Sidedish | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Carrot – 4 small (comes to 2 cups after grating)
Small Onion – 8
Dry Red Chilli – 2
Chana Dal – 1 tbsp
Tamarind – 1 tsp
Ginger – 1 tsp
Salt – to taste
Oil – 1.5 tsp
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Urad Dal – 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves – a sprig
Hing – 1/8 tsp
- Wash carrots, peel off the skin and trim the edges. Then grate it using a grater.Add a tsp of oil and saute the grated carrots until raw smell leaves, bu that time it will shrink in volume.Set aside.Heat a tsp of oil and add chana dal, red chillies,tamarind and small onion and saute till golden brown.
- Transfer all the ingredients to a mixer, and grind it along with salt,ginger and required water. Then heat a tadka pan – add the ingredients listed under ‘to temper’ let it splutter then add the tadka to the chutney mix well.
Serve it with hot idli / dosa …yum combo!
- You can add 2 tbsp coconut too while grinding.
- You can replace big onion with small onion too.
- Adjust red chillies according to your spice level but as carrot is added, 3 was enough to compensate the sweetness.