Butter beans is my favorite, but we don’t get it here often. So when I saw it in Kodaikanal during our trip last week, bought them. I made butter beans masala with half of it and have reserved the remaining for making gravy/kurma with it to go with rice.This curry goes well with both rice and rotis.
For those who are new to this bean – This is a fresh bean and needs no soaking and can be cooked instantly after removing from the shell.It has a buttery texture and hence the name.This is different from lima beans I guess not really sure.If you get this butter beans do try this curry and enjoy it.This is fresh variety, you get dry variety too.
Butter Beans Curry Recipe
Recipe Category: Sidedish | Recipe Cuisine: Indian
Butter Beans – 1 cup
Garlic – 5 chopped roughly
Big Onion – 1 small sized finely chopped
Tomato – 1 small sized roughly chopped
Red Chilli Powder – 1 tsp
Garam Masala powder – 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves – 5
Water – as required
Salt – to taste
To grind to a paste:
Coconut – 1/2 cup loosely packed
Fennel Seeds – 1 tsp
Oil – 2 tsp
Cinnamon – 1/2 inch piece two
Cloves – 2
Cardamom – 1(I used cardamom powder)
- Remove butter beans from its shell, wash it well.Pressure cook with 1/2 cup water along with salt and turmeric powder for 2 whistles in low medium flame.Once pressure releases,Set aside to cool.
- Grind coconut and fennel seeds along with little water to a semi fine paste,Set aside.Heat oil in a pan add the items listed under ‘to temper’.
- Then add onion and garlic saute till slightly golden then add tomatoes along with red chilli powder and garam masala powder.Saute till tomatoes turn mushy and raw smell leaves.
- Add cooked butter beans along with coconut mixture cook for few mins then add curry leaves, add little water and cook for few mins.
- Let it cook until it turns dry and masalas are coated well.
Serve with rice and sambar/rasam.
- If you dont like the spices flavour then here is an alternate : for tempering add mustard seeds and urad dal and for grinding grind coconut with jeera.You can replace red chilli powder with sambar powder.
- The consistency is purely your choice.You can even cook for few more mins to make it nicely roasted till dry or switch off earlier with gravy.I made it semi dry for mixing with rice.
- This curry is medium spicy, adjust red chilli powder according to your preference.