Last Updated on December 7, 2020
Baby Corn Masala Recipe
Recipe Category: Sidedish | Recipe Cuisine: Indian
Baby Corn – 1 cup
Fresh Cream 1.5 tbsp [I used malai, ie top of milk(paal aadai)]
Milk – 1/2 cup
Big Onion – 1 small sized finely chopped
Jeera – 1 tsp
Ginger garlic paste – 2 tsp
Kashmiri Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
Coriander powder – 1/2 tsp
Garam masala powder – 1 tsp
Coriander leaves – 2 tsp (chopped finely)
Kasoori Methi – 1 tsp
Oil – 2 tsp
Butter – 1 tsp
Salt – As needed
To saute and grind:
Big Onion – 1 cut lengthwise
Tomatoes – 2 medium sized(chopped roughly)
Garlic – 4 small cloves
Oil – 1 tsp
- Trim both the edges of baby corn then pressure cook baby corn with immersing level water for 1 whistle in medium flame.Cut them into 2 inch pieces then cut it vertically like I have done.(Else you can even cut them into small circles).
- Heat oil – add the ingredients listed under ‘to grind’ saute till tomatoes turn mushy and raw smell leaves.Cool down and transfer to mixer.
- Grind it to a smooth paste,Set aside.Heat oil, butter – add jeera let it splutter, then add ginger garlic paste and onions fry till slightly browned.Then add onion tomato paste along with red chilli powder,coriander and garam masala powders.Mix well.Add required salt.
- Saute for 2mins then add fresh cream and mix well.Then add milk little by little till it forms a gravy consistency.
- Let it boil in low flame for a minute, keep stirring to avoid milk from curdling.Then add cooked baby corn along with cooked water and let it simmer for 3mins.Finally add crush kasoori methi and finely chopped coriander leaves and switch off.
Serve hot with phulka or naan or any mild pulao!
- To avoid milk from curdling – You can first heat and boil milk then add it – Dont add refrigerated milk directly.Simmer the heat once milk is added and keep stirring continuously.Also add the milk little by little stirring continuously.
- Add little water just till immersing level to pressure cook baby corn, reserve the water and add it to the gravy.
- I didnt add any food color, added kashmiri red chilli powder.
- The gravy cooked in milk gives it a slight sweet taste so adjust red chilli powder accordingly.
- Parboil baby corn and then add it to the gravy and let it cook in the gravy itself so that it absorbs the gravy well.
- You can also add fried capsicum at the final stage.