Arachuvitta Sambar is a traditional alternate sambar version made with freshly ground masalas & veggies of our choice. Arachuvitta Sambar is very flavourful & tasty curry with rice and can be served as side for idlis and dosas. Arachuvitta Sambar Recipe with step by step pictures presented in this post.
Arachuvitta Sambar – Sambar with freshly ground masalas, very flavourful can be served as sidedish for rice or even for idlis and dosas.
Tried this Arachuvitta Sambar Recipe ? Do let me know how you liked it. Also tag us on Instagram @sharmispassions and hash tag it on #sharmispassions.
📖 Recipe Card
- 1 cup toor dal / thuvaram paruppu
- 1 lemon sized ball tamarind
- 2 small sized carrot
- 10 small onion
- 1 tomato
- 1 tablespoon coriander leaves chopped
Roast and grind:
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds / dhania
- 1 teaspoon chana dal / kadala paruppu
- 1/4 teaspoon fenugreek / vendhayam
- 1 teaspoon raw rice
- 1 dry red chilli
- 1 tablespoon coconut grated
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon urad dal
- 1/4 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- a pinch hing/perungayam
- few curry leaves
- 1 red chilli
- Dry roast the ingredients under ‘to roast and grind’ until golden brown and grind it to a semi fine powder. Keep aside.
- Pressure cook toor dal with turmeric powder and enough water (4-5 whistles) till its cooked , mash it well with a laddle, set aside.
- In a kadai, heat 2 teaspoon of oil, add mustard seeds, urad dhal, fenugreek, hing, red chillies and few curry leaves.
- Now add the shallot’s, saute them till they are semi-cooked.
- Add chopped tomato and saute it well.
- Add the veggie of your choice – I used carrots. Saute till raw smell leaves.
- Then transfer this to the pressure cooker containing mashed dhal. Add little water and dilute it.
- Simmer and allow it to boil for 3-5mins till the veggie is cooked and is soft.
- Add the freshly grinded powder and mix well.
- Then add tamarind water…Mix well.
- Add required salt. Allow it to boil for 5-7 mins till the sambar is thick and is of desired consistency.
- Add chopped coriander leaves and switch it off. Arachuvitta Sambar ready!
- Adding veggie is purely optional, you can make it without any vegetable too. As it uses freshly ground spices, the sambar will be flavorful even without any vegetable.
- Do not worry if your spice powder is not very fine. I usually make is slightly coarse only but the sambar comes out well.
How to make Arachuvitta Sambar
1.Dry roast the ingredients under ‘to roast and grind’ until golden brown and grind it to a semi fine powder. Keep aside.
- Adding veggie is purely optional, you can make it without any vegetable too. As it uses freshly ground spices, the sambar will be flavourful even without any vegetable.
- Dont worry if your spice powder is not very fine. I usually make is slightly coarse only but the sambar comes out well.