7 cup Burfi Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Sweet | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Besan flour – 1 cup *
Sugar – 3 cups
Ghee – 1 cup (melted)
Carrot / Coconut – 1 cup (grated)
Milk – 1 cup
* In whichever cup you are measuring use the same cup for all measures.
I used my 1/3 cup for all the measures mentioned above.
- First choose a cup for measuring all the ingredients.I used my 1/3 cup.In a pan add besan flour and roast until aroma comes slightly, do not let it to change colour.Switch off.
- Trim the edges of the carrot, peel off the skin then grate the carrots.Measure and add it to the pan.
- Add sugar then add milk.
- Now finally add ghee.
- Now whisk it well for even mixing, make sure there are no lumps formed.Now heat it up, first it will bubble up.
- It bubbles up nicely then forms a frothy layers at the edges.
- When you mix you can feel its getting thicker.Keep cooking.
- Then it will easily leave the sides of the pan with a porous texture(poru poru as we call it in tamil) as seen in the last tiled pic in this step.
- Immediately transfer the mixture to a greased tin.When it is still warm, mark with a greased knife then carefully remove the pieces.
- You can decrease sugar to 2.5 cups and increase ghee to 1.5 cups.
- The consistency is very important else it will turn into halwa 🙂
- You can either use carrot or coconut or use half cup each.
- If you prefer add ghee roasted cashews.
- I don’t add cardamom powder if you like you can add.
- Usually the texture of this burfi should not be smooth, it should be slightly porous.The porous texture depends on how much you roast the besan flour initially.
- If you are doubtful on the consistency check at the final stage then take a drop and put in a plate and see, in few seconds if it hardens then thats the right stage but be quick else you will not be able to pour and set it.