Last Updated on December 7, 2020
If you have powdered badam in hand then making this sweet can finish in just 15mins its that easy.If you like saffron flavour you can grind a pinch of saffron along with badams and make Kesar Badam Katli.
The only challenge here is powdering badam but its not that tricky like cashews I felt.Please read my notes fully before you proceed.
I was overjoyed to see mittu enjoy this Badam Katli as she will not even touch kaju sweets.She loved it so much and also gave few pinches to her little brother and said ‘amma he too likes it so make it often’…what else?! 🙂
Badam Katli Recipe
Recipe Category: Sweets | Recipe Cuisine: Indian
Badam – 1/2 cup
Sugar – 1/4 cup heaped
Water – 1/4 cup
Melted Ghee – just for greasing
- Boil 1 cup water,when it starts to boil rigorously measure and add badams.Let it cook for 3mins.Switch off and rinse it in cold water.
- Now remove the skin, it will easily peel off.You know who did it for me?! Yes mittu neatly peeled the skin for all the almonds.Measure your ingredients and keep it ready.If your are badams are refrigerated, then bring to room temperature and then proceed.Ensure your mixer is completely dry.Transfer badams to a mixer
- Grind it to a semi fine powder.Don’t overdo as the badams will leave out oil and the whole mixture will turn sticky.See my badam powder was this coarse.Set aside
- Take sugar in a thick bottomed kadai,Now add water.Stir in till sugar dissolves.
- Then it starts to bubble up.Once the sugar completely dissolves and it starts to bubble up,add the badam mixture.
- Keep stirring in low flame.
- Add cardamom powder,keep stirring.Scrap the sides and keep cooking.
- It will become dry and starts rolling like this.It should be like a flexible dough.The dough should be slightly dry, but should be soft and flexible so switch off accordingly.You can even try rolling a tiny ball, if it forms then that’s the correct consistency.It took me around 12 mins for forming the dough.Switch off and let it cool down for 5 mins.
- When its still warm, knead it well.If you feel the mixture is dry add 1/2 tsp ghee and then knead it.I didn’t use as it was easy for me to gather and knead.Place the dough on a plate.
- Now lay a butter paper over it,slightly apply ghee.Now start rolling with a chapathi roller to 1/4 inch thick.And cut into diamonds.
- First draw vertical lines then criss cross it to form diamond shapes.Now you have the liberty to enjoy the edge uneven pieces :)Now separate the pieces.I collected the extras,kneaded rolled again and cut into pieces, this way you can eliminate the uneven edge pieces.
Cool down and store in airtight container.
- If you want a more sweeter katli, add 1/3 cup sugar.
- For making barfi – you can roll it a little more thick cut into squares and serve.
- If you have refrigerated your badam, then first bring it to room temperature and then proceed.
- Use a dry mixer jar, the mixie should be completely moisture free.
- Butterpaper helps in giving a neat smooth finish, so I recommend adding it.
- When you start grinding run the mixer at a stretch for 10 seconds, the scrap the sides then pulse it giving intervals.Make sure badam is in powder for, it should not be pastey.If there are tiny bits, its ok but dont overdo grinding then badams will let out oil and become pastey.
- Seeing the coarse badam mixture, don’t panic and grind for more time then it will become sticky.
- If you cook the badam dough perfectly, the dough will be so flexible almost like the playdough clay and you can play and experiment a lot with it.
- If the mixture becomes too crumbly then add little milk and grind it in the mixer to form a slightly moist dough, if its still goey again cook to form a dough.But if you add milk shelf life will be less.
- If you try to cut it it should be firm, if the pieces are goey then you need to cook for little more time.
- Kneading is really important for a smoother finish.
- I recommend to do the entire process in low flame or low medium.
- If you are comfortable with sugar string consistency then you can try the same kaju katli method.
See the tiny hands trying to reach the katlis…yes he is always around me and wants to taste check everything 🙁