After baking the vanilla cupcakes for sending to mittus school for sharing day, I set out to bake this one.Last time when I poured the batter into a single pan, the cake had a high rise which was almost overflowing so this time made as 2 cakes, sent 1 to my brother and kept the 2nd one for us.It was a hectic sunday but still enjoyed it.
The cake comes out so soft and spongy perfect for birthday cakes.As we are not fond of icing I left it plain.The cake slices comes out clean, I was in a hurry to click so sliced it even before the cake cooled completely.
Hot Milk Sponge Cake Recipe
All purpose flour – 1 cup
Baking powder – 1 tsp
Salt – 1/4 tsp
Milk – 1/2 cup
Eggs – 3(at room temperature)
Sugar – 1 cup
Vanilla extract – 1 tsp
- Heat milk in a sauce pan till it bubbles up, switch off and set aside.Ina mixing bowl add eggs and start beating.I used my electric beater.
- Beat in high speed until thick,creamy and pale in colour.Now add sugar and start beating again.Add in intervals.
- Keep beating until sugar gets dissolved.In another bowl sift flour,baking powder and salt.Say hi to my new flour sifter, had been planning to buy one since I started baking and finally here I am.
- Add flour mixture, It became so thick so I switched to a whisk which is easy.Whisk it well so that there are no lumps.
- By now the milk must have cooled down a bit, add it and whisk it well until you see a creamy flowing batter without lumps.Preheat oven at 180 deg C for 10mins.
- Grease a baking pan with oil,flour the surface.I used two 8 inch pans.Pour into the pans and bake in preheated oven for 30mins or until the tops turns golden.Check with a tooth pick, insert it in the middle of the cake, if it come out clean then the cake is done else bake for few more mins.
- Once baked cool down completely, run a knife over the edges and invert.
Serve as a snack!
- If you make a single cake you will get a tall cake, you can slice it and apply any icing you want.
- The cake rises well so don’t fill more than 3/4th if baking in a single pan else it will overflow while baking.