Traditionally small full mangoes are added to the curry removing the skin, but I prefer adding chunky pieces so that its easy to serve and eat.
Mambazha Puliserry Recipe
Recipe Category: Sidedish | Recipe Cuisine: Kerala
Mango – 2 small(1 cup chopped)
Thick Curd – 1 cup
Water – as required to cook
Salt – to taste
To grind to a paste:
Fresh Grated Coconut – 4 tbsp
Green Chilli – 1 chopped roughly
Jeera – 1/4 tsp
Turmeric powder – a pinch
Red Chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
Coconut Oil -2 tsp
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Fenugreek seeds – 1/4 tsp
Red Chilli – 1
Curry Leaves – a small sprig
- Grind together the ingredients listed under ‘to grind’ with little water to a semi fine paste,Set aside.Peel off the skin of mangoes and chop them into medium sized pieces.Take a pan add chopped mangoes along with 1/4 cup water and salt.
- Let the mangoes turn soft but make sure its not mushy, now add coconut paste, sprinkle little water and cook in low flame for atleast 3-5mins until raw smell of coconut mixture leaves, add required salt.Meanwhile whisk the curd without adding water and keep it ready.
- Add curd little by little and keep stirring to avoid curdling.Keep in low flame and mix well until the mangoes nicely blends along with curd.In a tadka pan add the ingredients listed under ‘to temper’, let it splutter.
- Add this tadka to the curry and give a quick stir and switch off.
Serve with rice and any thoran of your choice.
- The consitency whould be semi thick.The curry thickens with time, so switch off accordingly.You can adjust by adding little water.
- The color of moru curry depends on the variety of mango you use, the one I chose was deep yellow.
- Few smaller mangoes pieces may get mushy which will blend with the curry and thicken it, so add water and curd accordingly.
- Don’t let the mango pieces turn mushy.It should be cooked to soft.
- Beating the curd is a must before adding to the curry.If you are scared about curdling switch off cool down a bit then add curd and add the tempering.
- I used 2 neelam mangoes.Choose ripe mangoes but the pieces should hold its shape, don’t choose mangoes that are too ripe and mushy.
- Adding coconut oil gives nice flavour to the curry so don’t skip it.