This Nei Appam is also called as Karthigai appam / Sweet Appam. I tried this nei appam yesterday and trust me I loved it so much that I finished half of it in no time…I am sure I am gonna make it often when I crave for something sweet to eat.This neiappam stays soft even after few hrs of resting time cool right?! So what are you waiting for do try this sweet appam for Karthigai Deepam and let me know how you liked it 🙂
Instant Nei Appam Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Snack | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Wheat Flour – 1/4 cup
Rice Flour – 1/3 cup
Fine Rava – 1/2 cup
Jaggery – 3/4 cup
Water – 1/2 cup(for jaggery syrup) + as reqd
Cooking Soda – 1/4 tsp
Elachi powder – a generous pinch
Coconut grated – 2 tbsp
Salt – 1/8 tsp
Melted Ghee / Oil – as required to fry
- Add 1/2 cup of water to jaggery and heat it up until it nicely bubbles and is thick more like honey in consistency. Strain to remove impurities and set the jaggery syrup aside.
- Take rava,wheat flour and rice flour in a mixing bowl and whisk it well.Now add the jaggery syrup and mix well without any lumps.
- Now add water little by little to form a slightly runny batter more like our dosa batter in consistency.Then add grated coconut and cardamom powder mix well and set aside.When you are ready to make the appams add baking soda and mix it well.
- The consistency should be slightly thicker than our dosa batter consistency so adjust water accordingly.Heat paniyaram pan, add 1/2 tsp of oil / ghee in each hole of the paniyaram pan, add a laddle full of the batter in each hole.Cook covered for 2-3mins.
- Turn over to other side and cook for 3mins until its dark brown.Carefully transfer the paniyarams to a plate and serve hot.
Serve as a teatime snack or for breakfast.
- Nei appam should be slightly on the darker shade so keep in low medium flame and fry till reddish brown.
- You can add coconut pieces for the crunch.
- I always use filtered jaggery syrup to remove impurities.
- I added half ghee and half of gingelly oil.You can fry fully in ghee too.
- Salt is added just to lift the sweetness.
- If you add more ghee / oil the appams will be evenly fried.If you are hesitant add gingelly oil to fry.As you can see I just greased each hole.
- If you don’t have paniyaram pan then make the batter a bit thick and using a deep curved laddle drop the batter in oil and deep fry it.But make only one at a time.