Javvarisi Vadam Recipe
Recipe Category: Sidedish | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Sago – 1 cup
Thick Sour Buttermilk – 1/2 cup
Water – 2 cups + 5 and 1/2 cups
Green Chillies – 4 (thin long variety)
Lemon – 1/2
Food Colors – 2 drops in each color
Hing – a generous pinch
Rock Salt – 1 tsp
- Soak sago in 2 cups of water for 2 hrs.Stir in between as some variety of sago dissolves in water so keep checking every now and then.You can see sago grown bigger in size absorbing most of the water.Now in a thick heavy bottomed vessel(I used my big pressure cooker) boil 5 and 1/2 cups of water, when the water starts to boil transfer soaked sago mixture.Keep stirring to avoid sago sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Once the sago mixture comes to a porridge consistency and also all the sago should become transparent by now….this is the right stage switch it off and cool down.Make sure it is not too thick as it thickens after cooling down…. Switch off and let it cool down.Meanwhile grind green chillies,rock salt and hing to a semi fine paste.When the sago koozh mixture is still warm add buttermilk and green chilli paste.
- Mix well then add lemon juice.Now divide the mixture into 3 equal parts and add desired colours.I made pink, green and white(no color).Mix well.
- Spread a clean white cloth or a plastic sheet under sun.And now start spooning the mixture.Using a small ladle/spoon, pour the sago mixture on the sheet to make small circles as shown belowFinish off the sago mixture by spooning them into small circles.After 1 day of drying peel them off carefully without tearing it, turn over to other side to get it dried.
- Let it dry until the vadams become firm and not flexible.Then store in airtight container and whenever you need the papad Heat oil – Check by putting a small piece of vadam, if it pops up immediately then the oil is ready to fry vadams.Fry the vadams until the shh sound completes.
Serve with any variety rice or with rice and sambar.
- Use white sago which we use for upma. Dont use nylon sago variety.
- Don’t make the porridge very thick as after cooling it thickens further so switch off accordingly.For the sago mixture to reach the porridge stage it roughly takes around 10-15mins.
- You can even add a tsp of jeera for extra flavour.
- It keeps well for almost a year in room temperature, store in a clean airtight container.
- You can use a plain white cloth or plastic sheet for drying the vadams.Make sure you don’t have any wrinkles in the sheet / cloth so the shape comes out well. Mine had wrinkles as it was an old sheet wrapped and kept, I couldnt avoid it.
- If you are making for the first time just like me then I recommend making in smaller quantity, then you can make it in bulk and store it.
- While adding lemon juice, strain the seeds and add only the juice.
- Spoon small circles, I felt mine was a little big so after frying, the vadams were so big as you can see.
- I dried it in my corridor sunlight then transferred it to my balcony as I had to depend only on the 8AM-12PM sunlight as after that we don’t get sunlight in our balcony/corridor.So after noon I just placed it in the balcony till evening just for the moisture to go, then fan dried it and stored in a container to protect it from ants 🙂 Then again I sundried it the next day….continued this process for 5 days.
- In total I dried it for 5 days to get it dried completely.
- If you are drying it in open terrace under direct sunlight then it will get dried in 2 days.
- You can test fry 1 or 2 vadams and check…After deep frying if its crispy fully then the vadams are done you can store in airtight container.If it sticks in between your teeth and is chewy then it needs more drying.Dry for few more days in hot sun.
- Adding colors is purely your choice, As I am trying this for the first time I wanted to play with colors 🙂 If you natural colors then grind tomatoes and add it to the mixture to get a orange color and grind coriander leaves for green color.
- Oil should be hot, test one vadam if it comes up(raises) immediately after its dropped then its the right heat you need.