Maa Ladoo (Maa Laddu) also called as Pottukadalai urundai is a famous South Indian sweet which can made in a jiffy with just 5 ingredients.I am making this for the first time and let me tell you maa laddu is a very easy sweet recipe to make and as Roasted Gram is very healthy especially for kids you can try this quick easy laddo for diwali.
The recipe and method is more like rava laddu and I loved it so much. Hubby who is not fond of sweets too liked it very much as he asked for 2nd ladoo which is very rare in his case when it comes to sweets so I am hereby declaring it a great hit at home and I will be making it more often.
Maa Ladoo Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Sweet | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Roasted Gram(Pottukadalai) – 1 cup
Sugar – 1/2 cup
Melted Ghee – 1/4 cup
Elachi powder – 1/4 tsp
Cashews broken – 1.5 tbsp
- Dry roast potukadalai(roasted gram) for 3mins till nice aroma rises, dont let it change its color.In a dry mixer grind it to a fine powder.
- Next grind sugar to a fine powder.Sieve flour with sugar for even mixing.
- In a pan add a tsp of ghee and fry the cashews till golden brown,Set aside. In a mixing bowl add flour+sugar,cashews,elachi powder and keep it ready….Now heat ghee for a minute and pour it into the mixing bowl.
- Mix well with a laddle so that ghee is evenly mixed.When its warm(hand bearable) start shaping them into laddus.Repeat this for the rest of the flour too.
Store in an airtight container and enjoy your homemade maa ladoos!
- This keeps well for atleast 2 weeks.
- Dry roasting roasted gram is optional but gives a nice flavour to the ladoos.
- Hot ghee is added so that shaping the ladoo is easy. Mix well with a laddle and touch it with your hands only when its warm.If you are making in bulk say more than 2 cups then you can add ghee little by little and form ladoos in portions. It is always easy to shape the ladoos when its warm, else it will tend to break so make the ladoos quickly.
- When sugar is powdered it gives more quantity so if you are measuring powdered sugar then use 3/4 cup of powdered sugar.Though the orginal recipe called for 1(roasted gram):1(sugar) ratio I felt it too sweet so modified the measurements.
- You can even add raisins along with cashews if you like.