Kathrikai Puli Kuzhambu Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Sidedish | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Brinjals – 8 to 10
Small Onion – 10
Garlic – 5 pearls
Coconut – 1/4 cup
Tamarind – 1 small lemon size
Red Chilli powder – 1.5 tsp
Coriander powder – 1 tsp
Turmeric powder – a generous pinch
Water – 1 cup
Salt – to taste
Oil -1 tbsp
Mustard Seeds – 3/4 tsp
Urad Dal – 1/2 tsp
Vadagam – 1 tsp
Red Chillies – 2
Curry leaves – few
- In a pan heat oil – add the items under ‘to temper’ let it splutter then add onion and garlic saute till nicely browned.Meanwhile slit the brinjals like shown(a plus sign) and add the brinjals.
- Saute well till brinjals shrink, add water and let it get cooked.Add tamarind to water and mash it up well and extract the pulp.
- Add the tamarind pulp once brinjals turn soft, allow it to boil. Now add turmeric, red chilli and coriander powders.Add required salt.Grind coconut to a fine paste with little water.
Add the coconut paste and allow it boil for few more mins until it reaches a thick kulambu consistency and oil starts separating.Switch off.
Cool down and store in a clean airtight container.
- I dont add tomatoes for this kulambu but there is no harm adding it.
- Make sure you add the tamarind and coconut paste only after brinjals get cooked.
- You can add a 1/2 tsp of sambar powder too but make sure to reduce red chilli powder accordingly.
- You can even use other veggies like drumstick along with it.
- It is a spicy curry so adjust spice level accordingly.
- The color of the kuzhambu purely depends on the chilli powder you use.