Wishing you all a very happy and prosperous new year 2013!!
Paal Payasam Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Dessert | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Basmati Rice – 1/4 cup
Full Cream Boiled Milk – 1 and 1/2 litre ( I used Aavin green)
Sugar – 1/2 cup
Saffron – 3 to 4 strands
Ghee – 2 tsp
Nuts – to garnish(optional)
- Roast rice in 1/2 tsp ghee till nice aroma rises(dont change the color of the rice).You can grind the rice coarsely at this stage, its optional(run the mixie just once to break the rice). You can even cook the rice as such like how I did..without mashing if you like the whole grained rice.In a pressure cooker(grease it with 1/2 tsp ghee), add 1 cup of milk to the rice and pressure cook for 2 whistles in medium flame, switch off. Once pressure releases , add milk and switch on the flame again.
- Then add sugar and stir well and simmer for 5mins. Then mash up the rice with a laddle.
- Then simmer for 10-15 mins until a thick creamy payasam consistency is reached. Garnish with ghee roasted nuts / saffron.
Serve hot or cold as per your preference!
- The payasam thickens with time so switch it off accordingly.
- You can even crush and add saffron at the last stage and give a quick stir.I wanted it milky white for the pics so just garnished while clicking :).
- You can add cardamom if you prefer.