Though we dont make savoury snacks often at home, she likes ompodi and nendran chips very much. Whenever we visit perimmas house, she packs us nendrangai and we mostly end up making this chips for her sake.
Nendran Chips Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Snack | Recipe Cuisine: Kerala
Raw Nendran Banana – 2 nos
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Cooking / Coconut Oil – to deep fry
Salt – to taste
- Take a bowl add turmeric powder , salt and water and make a runny liquid mixture.Set aside.Slit the banana skin and peel them off. Slice very thin and collect them in a bowl.
- Slice it very thin so that it gets cooked evenly and easily.Heat oil in a kadai, add few slices and fry till it starts to crisp, at this stage add 1/2 tsp of turmeric salt water in a sprinkled manner so that it gets spread on all the chips.
- Make sure the ‘shh’ sound stops and the chips is light and crisp before you take it out.Take out and drain in tissue paper.Cool down and store in airtight container.
- Slit the banana skin and peel them off. Slice very thin and collect them in a bowl.
- Add salt and turmeric powder. Sprinkle little water and mix well for the salt and turmeric powder to coat well and evenly on all sides. Then dry them in a cloth for 10-15mins.
- Heat oil and carefully add the sliced pieces and deep fry them until crispy and light. Drain in a tissue paper and store in an airtight container.Make sure the ‘shh’ sound stops and the chips is light and crisp before you take it out.
Serve as teatime snack!
- You can use any of the 2 methods whichever you are comfortable with.
- If you are comfortable you can even slice it directly in oil as they do it in shops – but be very careful while doing this.